Netbook with WLAN Can't Find my WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by larrytucaz, Jan 23, 2010.

1. larrytucaz

larrytucaz Member

I just purchased an MSI Wind, it has an aftermarket Dell (1390 or 1395, I'm told) WLAN card. I found what I THINK is the correct driver and the netbook found it. That said, it shows up as a Dell 1500 with the n protocol.

Trouble is, the WLAN absolutely will not find my WiFi hotspot at home, which I know is up--my Blackberry Bold finds it very easily.

I don't know the first thing about what settings to check on the card's properties. Well, I do know just enough to see some of the advanced settings and I changed some of the settings (can't recall which ones) to 802.11g type of settings (which is what my hotspotl at home is). Beyond that, I don't have the foggiest idea about what settings I am supposed to be entering in, anywhere in the entire place. I can tell you that I didn't setup the laptop to be on the wireless itself, I'm just trying to get it to find the hotspot and connect to it.

The computer has XP SP2 Home, and the wired 10/100 LAN connection works just fine with no problems.

So where do I go from here to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

LRH

2. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

3. larrytucaz

larrytucaz Member

Well don't I feel silly. I read some posts from different ones in other places etc saying that laptops commonly have a wireless off-on switch. I found that my MSI Wind U100 does this with the Fn + F11 combination, and there's a status panel of LEDs on the bottom-right to show this.

Sure enough, the wireless was switched off. I switched it on, and now everything is lovely. I'm even using the wireless to post this right now--in my own house, haha.

4. heymrdj

heymrdj Diamond Member

We've had people bring their HP's and the like into my workplace wondering why wireless doesn't work. Flip The switch. Good as new.

But I can't fault them, when I bought my HP in 2007, I wondered why wireless wasn't working...same thing... :D

Read the manual :p.

5. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

This is done as good service. :hmm:

It is obvious that people derive much more pleasure from Complaining rather than reading. So the vendors are kind enough to give every one a chance to feel the "High" of complaining.

However this might change in the near future, it seems that people perceive the Kindle as a cool thing and as result Amazon seems to see a secondary benefit in larger number of Books downloads. [​IMG]

I.e., if the hardware's vendors will make the Instructions Guide available for Kindle who knows, may be the "ignorant" would start to Read. :eek: