NERO 8 ULTRA EDITION

homesluice

Jul 8, 2008
The price is misleading. The rebates are split into two: $50 and $20. The $20 rebate can only be obtained by sending in, along with everything else, "The original user's manual title page from a previous full retail version of qualifying titles (see list on front)."

For the record, these titles include:
Roxio: Easy Media Creator, Easy CD & DVD Creator
Corel: Ulead DVD Movie Facotry, Movie Factory Plus
Pinnacle: Studio, Studio Plus, Studio Ultimate
Nero: Nero 5, Nero 5.5, Nero 6 Ultra Edition, Nero 7 Ultra Edition & Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced

Also it states that 'OEM' and 'pre-installed' versions are NOT qualifying titles.
Meaning the version of Nero that came with my laptop won't count. =

The $50 rebate is much simpler and can actually be obtained, on the other hand.

In any case, for most of us that makes the price roughly $30, which still isn't bad for ripping/writing CDs and DVDs.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Not to thread crap, but I'd stay away from Nero 8.

I used it, and my experience was pretty horrible with it. The interface is annoying, it's unbelievably bloated, and most of the software included is pretty terrible.

Steer away from 8. If you must use Nero, stick with 7 for now.

zposter

Mar 23, 2007
Other than a Soyo rebate, the only rebate I've ever been stiffed on was on Nero from Fry's.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Originally posted by: EarthwormJim

I used it, and my experience was pretty horrible with it. The interface is annoying, it's unbelievably bloated, and most of the software included is pretty terrible.

even 7 wasnt that good.

sad to see a good program (6) go downhill so fast.

Rockhound1

Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Fayd

even 7 wasnt that good.

I would have to agree. Nero was a good program at version 6. But it became bloated and intrusive with version 7 and up. So, what do you guys use instead? Something simple for burning CDs and DVDs?

CosmosRewind

Jun 12, 2005
I haven't tried 8 yet, but Nero 7 is manageable if you custom install and uncheck most of the junk. You still have to disable Scout manually and delete their check program with AutoRuns. Burning Rom, Recode, and some of the utilities are all I install/use.

Nero is quickly going the route of EZ CD Creator.

Ig

Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Rockhound1

even 7 wasnt that good.

I would have to agree. Nero was a good program at version 6. But it became bloated and intrusive with version 7 and up. So, what do you guys use instead? Something simple for burning CDs and DVDs?

CDBurnerXP

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ig

even 7 wasnt that good.

CDBurnerXP

Works with 2k too.... Thanks, thats been something ive been looking for since we have some old systems around.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003

even 7 wasnt that good.

ImgBurn (free).

Alcohol isn't bad either.

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
There are the unofficial installers for Nero Lite and Nero Micro that you could consider as well. You'll still need a valid registration key for Nero, but these installers greatly reduce the bloat that appeared in versions 7 and 8. I'm using Nero Micro 8 now (installed just Burning ROM and nothing else), and it's pretty much the same as what I had with Nero 6.

bupkus

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2000
I have Nero 6 on my xp computers with Nero 7 on the shelf and never used. With the unofficial installers mentioned by ZetaEpyon I don't see a reason to upgrade.
Are there any reasons I don't know of?
BTW, is Nv7 for Vista?

ZetaEpyon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
I don't think Nero 6 works on Vista, but I might be wrong.

Other than that, I don't see any reason to move from 6.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I have found Infrarecorder to be better than CDBurnerXP. Infrarecorder is only a few MB in size and you can even run it from a memory stick. I haven't had any problems with it so far - the interface is like older versions of Nero - clean and easy to use. It also ISO and BIN/CUE images, etc...

http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
if i want to actually burn something, i use imgburn.

currently i'm debating buying a copy of alcohol 120%. i've been using trials every round that i need to copy a game CD... maybe an updated version of alcohol would allow copying some CD's i havent been able to copy.