Nero 6 movie copy question

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have Nero 6 running on an XP machine. I want to copy the movie but only want English audio and subtitles (there are several other languages of both). I don't see a way in Nero to only copy the English tracks. Is it not doable using Nero? As an alternative I'm copying the disk to HD using DVD Fab Decrypter 4, they figure to either shrink it down using DVD Rebuilder to put on a DVD-R or else use Nero to burn the rip to a dual layer DVD. It's a lot more work, but I don't see an alternative.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
What container do you need this to be in? XviD, mp4, mkv ect? I always use a free program called MakeMKV to do what you are talking about. After it opens the disk it gives you the options to leave out subtittles, audio tracks and a lot more.
If you need to shrink it down to a more reasonable size Freemake or Handbrake do a good job.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Nero can't bypass retail DVD encryption to my knowledge so I'm not sure why you're using it for that. I don't copy DVDs very often nowadays, but when I did I used DVDShrink (free) and I'm almost certain it allowed me to to remove unwanted subs and languages (and shrink down to a single layer DVD). But I think DVD Shrink hasn't kept up with updated anti copy schemes, so you might want to use DVD fab anyway

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What container do you need this to be in? XviD, mp4, mkv ect? I always use a free program called MakeMKV to do what you are talking about. After it opens the disk it gives you the options to leave out subtittles, audio tracks and a lot more.
If you need to shrink it down to a more reasonable size Freemake or Handbrake do a good job.
I hadn't heard of Freemake, but I think I used Handbrake for a video I shot with my Canon ELPH 100HS, over the summer. It was a tad too big to upload to Picasa and Handbrake did the job.

I used DVD Rebuilder yesterday, a free download and very easy to set up and use, it's a snap, however the process of encoding a DVD using it takes hours (almost 5 hours yesterday, but the laptop I did it on isn't the fastest). It compressed the ~6.2GB rip I made with DVD Fab Decrypter 4 (another freebie), which had stripped out the non-English language tracks. Burned the result to a DVD-R, and I watched about 20 minutes of it last night, it looked absolutely beautiful.

I'm looking for a way to make dual layer DVD rips of dual layer DVDs that only contain English audio and subtitles. I suppose I could do rips with DVD Fab Decrypter and then use Nero 6 to burn to dual layer DVD's, haven't tried it yet, but I suppose it should work in theory. It's more work than just using Nero, but I hate DVDs with multiple subtitle tracks, I always have to step through them... it's so much easier to just go On/Off.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Nero can't bypass retail DVD encryption to my knowledge so I'm not sure why you're using it for that. I don't copy DVDs very often nowadays, but when I did I used DVDShrink (free) and I'm almost certain it allowed me to to remove unwanted subs and languages (and shrink down to a single layer DVD). But I think DVD Shrink hasn't kept up with updated anti copy schemes, so you might want to use DVD fab anyway
Yeah, DVD Shrink hasn't been updated for several years and many disks can't be ripped with it. Also, DVD Shrink isn't really an encoder, so the results when the percent compression is over say 70-75% (I'm told) aren't so hot, you can start to see deterioration. That's why I like to use DVD Rebuilder (I think I got the tip here a few years ago) subsequent to an uncompressed rip to HD by something like DVD Fab Decrypter, because DVD Rebuilder uses real encoders, the encoder of your choice, including several commercial encoders. The download includes a free real encoder, however, and that's the one I use. I've been happy with the results so far. Setup is practically automatic, it's very friendly, and using the program is virtually automatic. It runs for a few hours and at the end it says "COMPLETE" and you can just burn the contents of the output directory right to a DVD-R or DVD+R using Nero, it being the right size and unencrypted.

Last edited: