Nerds Land- Almost passed out.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
So today was my first time visiting a real computer store. (bestbuy/circuit= nothing compared to tigerdirect store) I walkedin there and i felt like a little kid on Christmas all over again. The prices was exactly the same as the online prices. When i go to bestbuy the prices are inflated and i feel robbed when i leave. I know people hate tigerdirect, but the store is actually very nice indeed. The warehouse for tigerdirect is the store itself in naperville illinois which im going to next and i expect it to be huge compared to the smaller store i went today.

I got a dvd burner for $24.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...EdpNo=3509190&CatId=89

wireless network card for $20 each. They had some for $16.99 also and one for $9.99.
Best buy had the same card for $40 :/ so im done with bestbuy/CC for computer crap!

I recommend anyone else out there that hasnt visited frys or tigerdirect stores to go soon. Its actually a nice experience.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Ns1
I would rather cut myself then shop at Fry's.

I've been to two Fry's stores. The first was San Marcos, and I would gladly visit there twice a week if I lived closer. Second was Manhattan Beach, and I'll take Best Buy / Circuit City any day over that hovel.

So, YMMV.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: mundane

I've been to two Fry's stores. The first was San Marcos, and I would gladly visit there twice a week if I lived closer. Second was Manhattan Beach, and I'll take Best Buy / Circuit City any day over that hovel.

So, YMMV.

The decor on the manhattan beach one is hilarious. My "home" Fry's is Fountain Valley. I used to go there fairly often when I was younger, until I realized most of their shit is returns on store shelves. Not as big of a problem NOW, but still.

I only go to Fry's if I'm completely desperate. I'd rather pay for overnight shipping from the egg.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Utterman
Are you talking about what used to be CompUSA?

Well, the tigerdirect store is nice. I have to wait 4 days for my stuff to be shipped from newegg since im illinois.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Anything would be better than the two local shops in my town.

ME: "I need a PCI Express NIC Card"
Them (Both stores): "PCI Express is only for video cards" (complete with superior look on face (both stores))
ME: Shakes head and walks away.

EDIT: Same thing happened when I asked about a PCI Express SATA card at both stores on a later date.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
Anything would be better than the two local shops in my town.

ME: "I need a PCI Express NIC Card"
Them (Both stores): "PCI Express is only for video cards" (complete with superior look on face (both stores))
ME: Shakes head and walks away.

EDIT: Same thing happened when I asked about a PCI Express SATA card at both stores on a later date.

Just walk the store and find it yourself. I didnt ask for help once while i was in there. =]

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Aything is better than local stores, especially some of the smaller ones.

I went to a local computer store , the guy had 60GB hard drives for 85.00. Memory for 44.95 per 512MB, and dvd burners for 75.00 .

Someone was talking to him about upgrading the video card to play games and he suggested a nvidia 6800 based card, this was last december. I even heard him say "it says right here on the box that its 85hertz at 1280x1024 so thats plenty fast"

Scary part is since its a smaller town people actually shop there.
So many uninformed people out there.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
FRY"S??? < pokes eyes with pencil > How about Extreme Geek?

Going to Fry's makes me feel like I've done meth....hostile, tweeked out, broke & alittle dirty.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Fry's is awesome as long as you don't talk to the employees or buy any of the return/refurb crap.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

TigerDirect had stores outside of CompUSA's...they are just expanding into their markets now.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I would love to have a fry's or tigerdirect (hell anything really) in my neck of the woods. I'm smack dab in the middle between dallas and austin, and it's not feasible to go to either just to go to frys.

In fact, I've never been to frys... one of these days I'll go.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: alkemyst

TigerDirect had stores outside of CompUSA's...they are just expanding into their markets now.

Oh, thats what he meant about compusa. Sorry, i didnt know. And nope i went to a tigerdirect store.. not a OLD compusa.

Its called "tiger direct outlet store" ===> click http://www.tigerdirect.com/retailstores/index.asp

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: mundane

So, YMMV.

The decor on the manhattan beach one is hilarious. My "home" Fry's is Fountain Valley. I used to go there fairly often when I was younger, until I realized most of their shit is returns on store shelves. Not as big of a problem NOW, but still.

I only go to Fry's if I'm completely desperate. I'd rather pay for overnight shipping from the egg.

I just moved down here for school this year and I've been going to the FV Fry's ever since. Been there 4-5 times. I had the worst experience ever when I brought in my mobo/cpu/hsf to have them reseat the latter two on the mobo. I actually just got done cleaning the CPU and HSF for whenever I get my RMA board.

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
I've been in 2 Fry's and they both rocked, prices are OK and I gladly will go there again. Plus they are sometimes running specials.

One is in Palo Alto, CA
Other is in Houston, TX (one near hwy 59)

Guess your local fry's suck, fry's haters :p

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Went to a Microcenter a few months ago. Where I grew up, CompUSA was "technology heaven" compared to Best Buy and Circuit City. Microcenter was a godsend. I spent like 2 hours there just wandering around, looking at stuff.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac
Went to a Microcenter a few months ago. Where I grew up, CompUSA was "technology heaven" compared to Best Buy and Circuit City. Microcenter was a godsend. I spent like 2 hours there just wandering around, looking at stuff.

Yep, thats what i did. I swear i mustve walked down each aisle 5x times. I know when i get paid next week im going back to buy something else/

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Fry's is the shizzle. I don't know what you're talking about.

Agreed. Love Fry's. Customer service can be lacking at times but it's the ToysRus for electronic heads.