Neophyte needs a DSLR camera for Astrophotography

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I want to get a camera for some beginning Astrophotography.
I'll be using this with a Celestron C8-SGT scope and mount.

I've been looking at the Canon DSLR Rebel XS (1000D)
but it's a little spendy for a neophyte at $500.
Is there a more inexpensive camera that has liveview, can be controlled from a computer as well as have the ability to leave the shutter open for extended times and be able to use a remote shutter switch?

Any guidance is appreciated.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
A full frame camera would give you a picture twice as large in the same amount of time.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
There are small companies that make filters that you can put over the sensor that don't block out the wavelengths that a lot of planets/stars/galxies/etc produce. That is what the really nice astrophotgraphs were taken with because cameras normally block off those wavelengths. I'd probably check out those sites to see which cameras they support and pick from them. Off hand I'm sure they support Canon and Nikon; other guys (pentax) probably won't get enough love if the market isn't big enough.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
If you are set on liveview, your cheapest options will be the Canon XS or the Nikon D3000. Adorama has the XS refurb for $400 with kit lens, and the D3000 for $375 with kit lens.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Whatever camera you decide to get, you should look into having it modified for astrophotography (i.e. removing/modifying the IR filter).

Also, I don't know if Nikon DSLRs come with remote shooting software, but Canon's EOS utility offers an excellent set of remote shooting tools that allows you to connect your DSLR to your laptop via USB and control all major camera functions (including extended exposures and time-lapse) from your computer.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Whatever camera you decide to get, you should look into having it modified for astrophotography (i.e. removing/modifying the IR filter).

Also, I don't know if Nikon DSLRs come with remote shooting software, but Canon's EOS utility offers an excellent set of remote shooting tools that allows you to connect your DSLR to your laptop via USB and control all major camera functions (including extended exposures and time-lapse) from your computer.

nikon has a similar program, i forget what its called but i used it on my now long dead D70 once or twice

mocyt

Mar 3, 2005
nikon has a similar program, i forget what its called but i used it on my now long dead D70 once or twice

It's Camera Control Pro 2 but you have to pay for it. Also, it does not do Live View via your tethered PC. I believe only Canon's free software does that.

Also, DIYPhotoBits.com has a free software to do tethered shooting for any DSLR.