Neocon Coup at the Department d'État

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Pretty funny op-ed piece from the NY Times.

Those wacky neo-cons. Spreading the word Secretary of State Powell and Deputy Secretary Armitage will resign the day after (MAY GOD FORBID) Bush wins in 2004. And then blaming it on Mrs. Powell!

What will they dream up next?

I'd call them the Three Stooges but there are many more than three stooges in the neo-con cast. As a matter of fact I have a sneaky suspicion some of the posters on this very board may be neo-con stooges.

Neocon Coup at the Department d'État
By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

Let others fight over whether the war in Iraq was a neocon vigilante action disrupting diplomacy. The neocons have moved on to a vigilante action to occupy diplomacy.

The audacious ones have saddled up their pre-emptive steeds and headed off to force a regime change at Foggy Bottom.

President Bush staged a Texan tableau vivant last night, playing host at his ranch to the secretary of state, his wife, Alma, and his deputy, Richard Armitage. Mr. Bush wanted to show solidarity after a Washington Post story on Monday that said that Colin Powell, under pressure from his wife, said he would not be part of a second Bush term, nor would Mr. Armitage.

Mr. Bush might be trying to signal his respect for Mr. Powell, but the president is not always privy to the start of a grandiose neocon scheme.

The scene was reminiscent of last August in Crawford, when Mr. Bush dismissed press "churning" that the administration was on the verge of striking Iraq, saying, "When I say I'm a patient man, I mean I'm a patient man and that we will look at all options and we will consider all technologies available to us, and diplomacy and intelligence."

We all know how that turned out.

When the neocons want something done, they'll get it done, no matter what Mr. Bush thinks. And they think Mr. Powell has downgraded the top cabinet post into a human resources job, making nicey-nice with the U.N. and assorted bad guys instead of pursuing the neocon blueprint for world domination through what James Woolsey calls World War IV (World War III being the cold war.)

Countering the Post story, Mr. Powell's posse claimed that neither the secretary of state nor his deputy had ever said they intended to step down, and charged that the neocons were leaking a canard to turn the two men they consider lame doves into lame ducks.

"This is the revenge of the neocons for two months of bad news, looking like they're falling all over themselves in Iraq," said a Powell confidant, noting that Alma Powell was furious she had been dragged in.

In The Post, nearly all of the names of those who could move up if Mr. Powell moves out are Iraq hawks: Condi Rice, Paul Wolfowitz and Newt Gingrich were mentioned as candidates for secretary of state; Wolfie, Cheney Chief of Staff Scooter Libby and Condi deputy Steve Hadley, who may be radioactive after the uranium mistake, were mentioned for national security chief.

Mr. Wolfowitz has been tacitly campaigning for the jobs. He told Charlie Rose about his vice-regal trip to Iraq, where he said at last grateful Iraqis were thronging. "As we would drive by, little kids would run up to the road and give us a thumbs up sign," he said. (At least he thought it was the thumb.)

The move against the popular Powell had all the earmarks of the neocons' pre-emptive strike on Iraq.

1.) Demonize. Reiterating his speech trashing Foggy Bottom last April for propping up dictators and coddling the corrupt, Mr. Gingrich ? a Rummy ally who serves on the Defense Policy Board ? called for "top-to-bottom reform and culture shock" at State in an article in the July Foreign Policy magazine.

2.) Sex-up the intelligence. The leakers spread word that Mr. Armitage told Condi that he and Mr. Powell would leave on Jan. 21, 2005, the day after the next presidential inauguration. "Nonsense," said Mr. Powell. "Nonsense," said Mr. Armitage.

3.) Create a false rationale. Everyone knew the pair might not stay for a second term. But the neocons were impatient to give them a push, blaming poor Alma Powell for henpecking her husband when they were.

4.) Bring about regime change.

5.) Fail to prepare for the aftermath. "Newt as secretary of state?" sneered one Powell pal. "Hel-lo?"

6.) Make sure it's good for Ariel Sharon. Just as the neocons made their move on Mr. Powell, pro-Israel hawks scorned the secretary for not being on their team in the peace process. Israel's supporters scoffed at the new threat to cut loan guarantees as a State Department policy, not a White House policy.

7.) Ignore the real threat. While the neocons are preoccupying the country with Iraq and a coup at the department d'état, Al Qaeda may have blown up a Marriott in Indonesia and are plotting attacks here.

8.) Change the subject. Next stop, North Korea.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
maureen dowd is pathetic.
she would have been a great propagandist for Stalin.
but then, she has the same job at the famous NYTimes (all the news that's fit to print!)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
To tell you the truth, BOBDN, when I heard the news that Powell was leaving I figured the neocons as scheming to kick him out. It won't be a big loss. He's been a patsy anyway.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
maureen dowd is pathetic.
she would have been a great propagandist for Stalin.
but then, she has the same job at the famous NYTimes (all the news that's fit to print!)

She's only to the left what Ann Coulter is to the right, only a little less extreme.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Curious . . . the poop flingers rarely have anything of substance to say and never support their argument with anything resembling proof. I hope you wash your hands before your next procedure.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
To tell you the truth, BOBDN, when I heard the news that Powell was leaving I figured the neocons as scheming to kick him out. It won't be a big loss. He's been a patsy anyway.
True that!

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
i forgot to mention..
maureen dowd is really ugly too.

Thank you for sharing your insights with us. Maureen Dowd's looks notwithstanding let's get to the subject at hand.

Did the neo-cons in the Bush administration try to set up Colin Powell?

Secretary Powell claims he never said he'd leave if Bush (may God forbid) wins a first term.......oops wins his second term after being selected for his first term.

And Mrs. Powell is reportedly furious that the neo-cons in the Bush administration claimed she was the reason.

Is this just another neo-con coup to have one of their own named Secretary of State?

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
i believe the white house and powell have both stated that
the idea of powell leaving state in Bush's second term is nonsense.

anybody think it's possible that the dem's floated the idea out as misinformation?

seems every bit as likely as any other explaination.