Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Show Is Pulled Amid Misconduct Allegations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You're implying that all people are inherently predisposed to evil behavior, but lack opportunity. And that consequences inhibit bad behavior. I've seen little to support those implications. Have you seen otherwise?

Though he didn't say 'all', he said 'plenty'.
I think he maybe has a point, though who knows what numerical value to attach to 'plenty'?

For one thing I notice how people behave when they get behind the wheel of a car. Many people, even generally decent people, do seem to have a tendency to lapse into 'might is right' or 'it's fine if I can get away with it' as their one guiding principle if there isn't outside enforcement of rules. You see it all the time if you are not a driver.

I think it's simply a habit you can acquire if you have power and are able to get away with something for a long time.

Which is why I tend to think power differentials are the real problem rather than the nature of individuals. Power gets abused, it's in the nature of the thing.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Though he didn't say 'all', he said 'plenty'.
I think he maybe has a point, though who knows what numerical value to attach to 'plenty'?

For one thing I notice how people behave when they get behind the wheel of a car. Many people, even generally decent people, do seem to have a tendency to lapse into 'might is right' or 'it's fine if I can get away with it' as their one guiding principle if there isn't outside enforcement of rules. You see it all the time if you are not a driver.

I think it's simply a habit you can acquire if you have power and are able to get away with something for a long time.

Which is why I tend to think power differentials are the real problem rather than the nature of individuals. Power gets abused, it's in the nature of the thing.
You sound like a ciclist.

Reactions: nickqt

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You sound like a ciclist.

I may have occasionally been known to use such a device. Though I feel exactly the same in a pedestrian capacity. I think it applies to most power-differences. You don't need to be a wicked person to do things that harm others, it can be just a matter of norms and habits and incentives.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not Neil! He's my favorite science guy.

Why do men get creepy when they get famous?
They destroy he selves out of the destructive death wish created by self hate. It’s why Trump wanted to be President. It takes massive humiliation for a narcissistic ego to die. He thrives on the need to stay high in his ego bubble. He thrives near a huge abyss. This is why his mental illness is so dangerous to the rest of us.