Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Show Is Pulled Amid Misconduct Allegations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Maybe, but there is a theory that fame causes the creepy behavior. After all, they'll let you do it just because you're famous, right?
But having the impulse to do it in the first place must exist before the opportunity. Otherwise, it wouldn't happen.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meh...if all he did was make comments “infused with sexual innuendos,” that’s perhaps not appropriate for a workplace, but isn’t worthy of killing the guy‘s career over.

I mean thats the only way I can communicate! I like to slip something inappropriate in when I can!

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
While it may be hard to reach a satisfactory conclusion without a doubt it, you can still investigate. Talk to the alleged victim and get her account, talk to Neil and get his account. Maybe some of the details are verifiable true or verifiable false. In all likelihood it might come down to he said/she said but to imply that you can't do any investigating is silly.

We don't know what we don't know at this point and to stick our heads in the sand any time there is an old allegation as opposed to looking into it seems like the wrong approach. Why not try to investigate and get more details?

That's my thoughts on old rape allegations as well. It may be tough to find him guilty in the court of law, but a person can still be investigated, and the questioning isn't limited to just the potential victim and potential rapist. Through their answers, the circle of possible witnesses could be expanded and more information could possibly be made available.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
But having the impulse to do it in the first place must exist before the opportunity. Otherwise, it wouldn't happen.

"Perverted" fantasies are common, especially among men. The difference is between those who act inappropriately and those who do not. I'm sure there are plenty of men who would never do a thing unless they thought they could get away with it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Maybe, but there is a theory that fame causes the creepy behavior. After all, they'll let you do it just because you're famous, right?

recall that these allegations go back 30 years. All NDT was then was an average nerd in a sea of anonymous and likely dateless nerds. So, it wouldn't be fame that caused it.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
recall that these allegations go back 30 years. All NDT was then was an average nerd in a sea of anonymous and likely dateless nerds. So, it wouldn't be fame that caused it.

The rape allegation from the 80's seems ridiculous to me. The woman claims to hardly remember the incident and she is evidently a loon.

The other two accusations are from 2009 and 2018. I've already commented on the fact that these allegations do not amount to something which should result in cancelling a TV show and destroying someone's career.

I was speaking more in general to the fact that being famous undoubtedly makes some men feel empowered to do inappropriate things. I really don't know if the observation applies to NDT or not. But it certainly applies to some famous men. Just listen to Trump brag about how "they let you do it" if you're famous. And do you really think it's easy to get away with raping/assaulting dozens or hundreds of people if you aren't someone like Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein or Jimmy Seville?

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The rape allegation from the 80's seems ridiculous to me. The woman claims to hardly remember the incident and she is evidently a loon.

The other two accusations are from 2009 and 2018. I've already commented on the fact that these allegations do not amount to something which should result in cancelling a TV show and destroying someone's career.

I was speaking more in general to the fact that being famous undoubtedly makes some men feel empowered to do inappropriate things. I really don't know if the observation applies to NDT or not. But it certainly applies to some famous men. Just listen to Trump brag about how "they let you do it" if you're famous. And do you really think it's easy to get away with raping/assaulting dozens or hundreds of people if you aren't someone like Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein or Jimmy Seville?
Because it's all about power over someone, not sex.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
"He made a joke" "He showed interest in me and touched my shoulder once!" "Let's ruin his life"

You shouldn't fish from the company pier, but tons of people do.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
So what's going to happen with Cosmos: possible worlds, which is supposed premier in march?

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nat-geo-neil-degrasse-tyson-1203098611/

"The timing of the allegations put Nat Geo in a tough position. Not only had it just promoted the return of “StarTalk,” but its much-anticipated 13-episode series “Cosmos: Possible Worlds,” the latest edition of the “Cosmos” revival hosted by Tyson, is set to premiere on March 4.

“Cosmos: Possible Worlds” will also air on the Fox network, premiering on March 3, the night before its Nat Geo launch. With just two months before air, it would be virtually impossible for Fox and Nat Geo to replace Tyson on “Cosmos.” Not only does he narrate the series, but he’s incorporated on-camera throughout the show. Nat Geo has touted the fact that “Cosmos: Possible Worlds” will air as a global event on National Geographic in 172 countries and 43 languages, making it an important centerpiece for the network. Should Fox and Nat Geo opt to part ways with Tyson, it would require time and effort to recut the show with a new host (such as, say, executive producer Seth MacFarlane)."

Mar 11, 2004
So what's going to happen with Cosmos: possible worlds, which is supposed premier in march?

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nat-geo-neil-degrasse-tyson-1203098611/

"The timing of the allegations put Nat Geo in a tough position. Not only had it just promoted the return of “StarTalk,” but its much-anticipated 13-episode series “Cosmos: Possible Worlds,” the latest edition of the “Cosmos” revival hosted by Tyson, is set to premiere on March 4.

“Cosmos: Possible Worlds” will also air on the Fox network, premiering on March 3, the night before its Nat Geo launch. With just two months before air, it would be virtually impossible for Fox and Nat Geo to replace Tyson on “Cosmos.” Not only does he narrate the series, but he’s incorporated on-camera throughout the show. Nat Geo has touted the fact that “Cosmos: Possible Worlds” will air as a global event on National Geographic in 172 countries and 43 languages, making it an important centerpiece for the network. Should Fox and Nat Geo opt to part ways with Tyson, it would require time and effort to recut the show with a new host (such as, say, executive producer Seth MacFarlane)."

You find another host (properly vet them, maybe get a woman to do it even) and reshoot those parts/voiceover. If things move in a positive direction (say there's some satisfactory conclusion of things that can maybe appease all parties) then you can offer the original version.

Mar 11, 2004
I'm sure he was all over Bill O'Reilly and all of the other Fox creatures showing his concern.

Pretty sure he's tried to act like its way overblown and has made threads warning of backlash over women trying to speak up about this issue. OP has consistently shown himself to be a gutless piece of shit that is more worried about the perpetrators of heinous acts than the victims of it. Well unless its something he thinks is a sacred cow of liberals in which case he wants you to know how concerned he is about it.

Mar 11, 2004
Shame but not shocking. There's definitely some sexist/harassment issues that need to be addressed in society, and academia/science are no exception. I hope Tyson can view this as a learning opportunity, and that we can get some positive change to be affected.

His response to this will be very telling. He wouldn't be the first person who's brilliance in some area was overshadowed by his malfeasance in another, and I assure anyone that we can continue on without him playing a significant role in area of expertise should he feel that its too much trouble to improve his social situational awareness.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
While it may be hard to reach a satisfactory conclusion without a doubt it, you can still investigate. Talk to the alleged victim and get her account, talk to Neil and get his account. Maybe some of the details are verifiable true or verifiable false. In all likelihood it might come down to he said/she said but to imply that you can't do any investigating is silly.

We don't know what we don't know at this point and to stick our heads in the sand any time there is an old allegation as opposed to looking into it seems like the wrong approach. Why not try to investigate and get more details?
Alleged crime 30 years ago with no witnesses, no physical evidence, and past the statute of limitations. Why waste any time or money looking into it? There isn't going to be a conviction, or even a charge under any circumstances.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
"Perverted" fantasies are common, especially among men. The difference is between those who act inappropriately and those who do not. I'm sure there are plenty of men who would never do a thing unless they thought they could get away with it.
You're implying that all people are inherently predisposed to evil behavior, but lack opportunity. And that consequences inhibit bad behavior. I've seen little to support those implications. Have you seen otherwise?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
hqdefault.jpg

Tchiya Amet

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You're implying that all people are inherently predisposed to evil behavior, but lack opportunity. And that consequences inhibit bad behavior. I've seen little to support those implications. Have you seen otherwise?

No, not quite what I'm implying. I'm saying all people have dark fantasies, or certainly most of them do. I base this on surveys about sexual fantasies. Lack of "opportunity" isn't the only thing which holds people back, however. Morality does too. One can fantasize about something dark but their conscience would prevent them from acting on it. It should go without saying that the vast majority of sexual fantasies are never acted upon. This includes adultery, for example. To be clear: I am saying that good people sometimes fantasize about doing bad things. Not just about sex either. Ever visualize killing someone you didn't like, if only for a moment? Not quite the same thing as actually doing it.

Lack of opportunity alone may hold some people back, without moral consideration. Those people will act if they think they can get away with it. But that is not all people.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

(not disagreeing with your post, just adding my own thoughts...)

What is evil behavior? First we need to shed this belief that there is such things a "evil" behaviors, it introduces a stigma that keeps us from getting to the truth of the matter... IMO anyway.

It seems like, what successful men, a lot of them anyway, use their power to get? ... Sex and Social status. Be it through accepted social avenues or shadow paths of crime and drugs, it seems, men will likely use power to get.. Sex. Sex and social status. Its nor good or evil, sex has gotten the species thus far, we just have to recognize it for what it is, who we are, what we are.

It is not how the game is played anymore and the shit hurling apes(thats us) needs to learn this. Get taught this. A change in social norms. To me #metoo is just that. Its time to evolve, lets get down from the trees ;).

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I know he already responded, to you, but it is basically most people have some "bad" thoughts, but the vast majority don't act on it. Some of those that don't act on them are out of concern for consequences or a lack of opportunity. Therefore as opportunity increases and/or consequences more of those subset of people will act on those desires.

Of course most people don't act on those fantasies out of morality, or just because they are pure fantasies with no real desire.

Ever visualize killing someone you didn't like, if only for a moment? Not quite the same thing as actually doing it.

In my first job out of college, I spent a year fantasizing about shitting on my boss's desk. I spent way too much time thinking about it. Never did it, and never would do it. But part of my is still happy thinking about doing it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It’s a shame that National Geographic pulled his show before the establishment of guilt. I am sure he can professionally just resume where he left off, that is of course after he overcomes the presumption of guilt.

Last edited: