Nehalem's butt - im not joking.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ok ' Did i miss write my statement, Thats what I thought I said. Look Lopri. I don't really care to to discuss this much . Because I agree with what you said. Its also what I thought I said.

Instead of looking at it from the average buyers point of view. Look at it from the point of view as the guy who buys the top of the line.

To make easier lets take a trip back to the mid 60's

I am a car buyers. I want a pontiac lemans . I can buy it for around $1100 brand new.

Another buyer comes in and wants to buy a lemans also. But this buyer wants to buy the GTO version. It cost is about $1600. There is noway that the stock lemans can perform like the souped up GTO version no way. But you paid more for it .

Now you could mod the stock lemans. Change motors drive train suspinsion interior .

At the end of the day you will have spent more money modding the stock lemans rather than just buying the GTO. To get = performance alot more $$$. and time.

So I know your not going to like this and thats why I would rather not discuss this.

But its about time that Buyers of high end PC's get something for their money. If you buy a mid range Nehalem system in order to get High end performance your going to have to spend the $$$$. I find that refreshing and its about time.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Nemesis 1: We're agreeing but at the same time disagreeing. The agreeing part is pretty clear so let me stress on the disagreeing part.

Enthusiasts who pay top dollars aren't getting anything better. They're getting the same thing. A QX6700 is still a QX6700 and QX9650 is still a QX9650.

The top end stuff will be the same. Intel will make what they're capable of and sell what they need to. So there will always be a $1K SKU, and that thing is either what Intel can make best of what they decide to be the best in the competitive market. It will be offered to folks who know what they're getting - Intel's best offering at the time.

By crippling mid-range part, the what $1K customers could get is more psychological. One might even feel more secure knowing others can't have a bigger e*p*n1s without shelling out the same amount of money he did. But that kind of security is... kinda low. if you ask me.

See the disagreeing part?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Lopri you are spot-on in terms of rationalizing where this is heading.

I disagree with e-penis comment, few folks I have met with QX's buy them for e-extension reasons, myself included. I bought mine to avoid FSB limitations I knew I'd encounter as I OC'ed with phase cooling. Yes there are some with e-enhancement issues, but please paint e-penis comments with a narrower brush if we can agree to that.

As to what Intel is doing, it is called product-line security. And it is done with intention to protect the perceived and realized value of a product.

You do not see Lamborghini selling stripped down, under-sized, 4-cyl Diablo Celerons. They intentionally keep the very high-end seperated from the "low" end.

There is a reason for this. Intel is not migrating to anything new here, the rest of the buisness world operates this way.

(AMD selling their premium line quad-core as tri-core budget chips goes against this established market dilineation, but they have no choice in their situation.)

And yes it is for the psychological massaging of the high-end consumer, all for the money yo all for the money.

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Originally posted by: taltamir
oooh, shake it you.... err.... is a CPU a male or a female?

It's whatever you want it to be. I'm going to call mine David Hasselhoff.....or Chuck Norris.....or Dick Cheney, cause it is gonna rape faces. Hopefully.

Originally posted by: Idontcare
You do not see Lamborghini selling stripped down, under-sized, 4-cyl Diablo Celerons. They intentionally keep the very high-end seperated from the "low" end.

Rofl. Diablo Celeron. I probably still couldn't afford that.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
oh god... diablo's DE (dump edition), satan took a crap and this is the result... now with a tiny engine, stripped down chasis, reduced steering and breaking, and overall lower quality of construction...
Buy a diablo DE today and get a crappy car with an awesome name!