Negotiating a used car price with a dealer...

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
All of the different articles I have read about negotiating assume that the dealer is asking more than what the KBB or or equivalent pricing guide. What if the vehicle is already well under the KBB and Edmunds pricing?

The car in questio is a 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan with 20,000 miles. Blue book and edmunds are right around $16,900 with about the same options, yet the dealer has 6 of these all listed at $14,999. Do you think I could get them to go 14,999 out the door?

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Pikachu
Run a CarFAX and make sure they weren't rentals.

They may have been rentals or not, but I've also read rentals aren't always a no go. If the car is good mechanically it's good mechanically, doesn't matter how many different people have driven it.

CombatChuk

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2000
Assuming that nothing is wrong. Lowball them. It's not a crime to low ball, especially since the dealership probably low balls their customers. Then go back and forth with the price until you find the happy medium you want.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Usually the rule of thumb is that you can get up to 10% off a used car at a dealer. Since this is already a good price, lets say you start with 5% off. That'll be $14,250. It can't hurt to go in, prepared to pay $14,250 that minute, and then see if they'll take you up on the offer.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
Usually the rule of thumb is that you can get up to 10% off a used car at a dealer. Since this is already a good price, lets say you start with 5% off. That'll be $14,250. It can't hurt to go in, prepared to pay $14,250 that minute, and then see if they'll take you up on the offer.

Would you say that is out the door?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
taht's one of the hardest things about used cars...you don't know invoice price

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Pastore

They may have been rentals or not, but I've also read rentals aren't always a no go. If the car is good mechanically it's good mechanically, doesn't matter how many different people have driven it.

it's not the number of other drivers, it's the way those drivers drove it. a lot of people get rentals specially for tasks where they know they will be flogging the hell out of the car. and that isn't going to show up on a 30,000 mile car, but it might show up later.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: wasssup
wow i didn't know legacy's dropped their value so quickly...

They really don't usually. This is a monster dealership with huge turnover so they can afford to undersell competition with volume.

Pikachu

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I would find the one you want and offer something like $12,500. If they have five they will be more likely to deal.

Worse case they come back with soemthing better then you thought.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Would you buy an ex-rental car?

What was the craziest thing that you've done in/with/to a rental car?

Fun in a rental car!

So Ornery, you decided to use this nick after you hit 20,000 posts?

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
I would find the one you want and offer something like $12,500. If they have five they will be more likely to deal.

$12,500??? I wouldn't be laughed out of the dealership?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

$12,500??? I wouldn't be laughed out of the dealership?

No. They will probable say they can't go that low... then come back with a offer. They want to make a sell, why would they throw soemone out when they know someone else will take their money.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
You do realize by using "blue book", you're automatically tricked into paying $3000 more than what the car SHOULD sell for, right?

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Personally, I think if you low-ball at $12500, that's just rude and inappropriate. True, you're supposed to walk in a dealership thinking that car salesmen are scum of the earth, but I firmly believe the buying experience should be as painless as possible on both sides of the equation. If you propose an amount that's just way below any reasonable point of selling, it's definitely not going to help with your starting point of negotiation.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Otaking
Personally, I think if you low-ball at $12500, that's just rude and inappropriate. True, you're supposed to walk in a dealership thinking that car salesmen are scum of the earth, but I firmly believe the buying experience should be as painless as possible on both sides of the equation. If you propose an amount that's just way below any reasonable point of selling, it's definitely not going to help with your starting point of negotiation.

I disagree. If I were a salesman and someone did that to me, I would treat it like any other offer. Let the manager deal with it. If I truly felt like the person was a scumball and was not even serious about the 12,500, I would just tell the person to talk to another salesperson and move on to the next customer. I lowballed my current car and got it for about 3,000 less than they had on it. It was originally about $13,500 and I got it for $11,700 total (after all fees). Just keep working them and if the car doesn't sell, just keep reminding them that you'll take the car off their hands for $XXX amount. It might take a week or two, but if the car doesn't sell, then you'll get your price.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Originally posted by: Otaking

I disagree. If I were a salesman and someone did that to me, I would treat it like any other offer. Let the manager deal with it. If I truly felt like the person was a scumball and was not even serious about the 12,500, I would just tell the person to talk to another salesperson and move on to the next customer. I lowballed my current car and got it for about 3,000 less than they had on it. It was originally about $13,500 and I got it for $11,700 total (after all fees). Just keep working them and if the car doesn't sell, just keep reminding them that you'll take the car off their hands for $XXX amount. It might take a week or two, but if the car doesn't sell, then you'll get your price.

one time when i was selling a computer on craigslist for $180, a couple came to my house to look at it, and one lowballed me at $100. I laughed and told them that if they ever saw any deals that good to let me know, because i would be the one buying then.

needless to say, his lowballing, did not make me want to try hard to make a 'deal' with him.