Needs a PC horror game.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
...and it won't overpower his video card. FNAF 4 is easily the creepiest and most terrifying of the bunch though. If you're only getting one, get #4.
giphy.gif
Just asked, shot down. Was hoping for this one too, but I guess she has something against twisted, demonic reanimated children's toys. She doesn't mind gore though, so go figure.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alien Isolation- Total mind f*ck & tense-fest
Dead Space- Very atmospheric & un-nerving. Lots of scares & jumps.
FEAR- Very atmospheric & scary. Lots of cheap scares & jumps.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I remember playing "Alone in the Dark" way back in 1992. It was pretty scary then, but pretty funny now. You kids and your hi-res games!

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
I remember playing "Alone in the Dark" way back in 1992. It was pretty scary then, but pretty funny now. You kids and your hi-res games!

I have that game as well as the strategy guide. I also have the original Silent Hill and Dino Crisis and their strategy guides. Though definitely dated on the visuals, I'd argue Silent Hill aged the best out of the PS1 horror genre due to the art style and liberal use of fog/darkness. It's still scary as hell, atmosphere-wise. The enemies themselves just look cheesy now.

Good psychological horror games in general seem to age really well. The Fatal Frame series seems to be a particularly good testament to this.

Last edited:

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Bought Amnesia for $5, installed that, checked it out. Was actually pretty surprised as to how well the laptop is running it. Cracking an easy 30 fps @ 720P with most stuff on medium or high including SSAO. The only things I turned off were AA and Parallax mapping. This should look beautiful on the tv, and best of all, I can leave the desktop at home.

The only other snag is from the minute I've played of it, a controller would probably be cumbersome. I'll probably have to try it myself, though it seems it would be better without.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Bought Amnesia for $5, installed that, checked it out. Was actually pretty surprised as to how well the laptop is running it. Cracking an easy 30 fps @ 720P with most stuff on medium or high including SSAO. The only things I turned off were AA and Parallax mapping. This should look beautiful on the tv, and best of all, I can leave the desktop at home.

The only other snag is from the minute I've played of it, a controller would probably be cumbersome. I'll probably have to try it myself, though it seems it would be better without.

If you haven't already, you need to try the Resident Evil remake on STEAM. I think it's $15 right now.

You seem to like and appreciate the classic Survival Horror approach, with the fantastic atmospheres and cinematic camera placement.

Very few games do that better than the Resident Evil remake. It's a masterpiece of the genre and easily one of the best horror games out there.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
You seem to like and appreciate the classic Survival Horror approach, with the fantastic atmospheres and cinematic camera placement.
It's really closer to a love/hate relationship, particularly due to an unusually active imagination on my part. There's a certain type of game that produces a truly unsettled feeling, where even supposedly safe havens (like your bedroom, or even work environment) can have horrors lurking just beyond your grasp. However, there's something indescribably exquisite about that unsettled feeling, that feeling of you're gradually descending into that twisted, evil realm.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Too bad she shot you down on Five Nights At Freddys. I've played plenty of "scary" games and that's the only one that's caused me to actually jump. When I heard about it I laughed, what a lame and "OHHHH SCARY!" concept. But the game's just unsettling, I can't explain it. Condemned Criminal Origins imho has some very creepy parts. A shame Sega never released the sequel on the PC.

Last edited: