Need your valuable input with upgrading soundcard and speakers

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Hi currently I have a SB ZxR attached to my trusty Z-906 and I'm quite happy with the result if you ask me but even me who I'm not a serious audiophile I feel that audio fidelity could improve without breaking the bank by thousand of dollars.
Upgrading is itching me though and I'm seriously thinking about AE-9 (and maybe change the opmaps as well but this is something I can do to my ZxR as well anyway) but I'm debating whether it would make a serious difference with these speakers.
I mean they are great vfm for music and gaming which are my top priorities (without music production) and surround gaming is really great with ZxR so if I'm to upgrade I'm thinking of changing speakers as well. I use my SN HD-650 as well and ZxR seems to be doing a good job driving them..
As I said I really like the surround 5.1 of the combo ZxR with Z-906 so if I'm to upgrade I'm gonna do it with both parts.
Question is.. Does it worth it to upgrade to a AE-9 from ZxR and can you help me choose a better 5.1/7.1 surround system than Z-906, that will actually make it a meaningful upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any input.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Well, if you are willing to pay that kind of money. I have been using my AE-9 for a few months now and absolutely love it. Rock solid. I have not changed the opamps yet (Burson), but may in the future. The firmware/software is very good also, which surprised me actually even though I mostly use Direct Mode. The only weak point as you can probably view on the reviews around the net is recording voice for videos. But since I'm not a You-Tube influencer or anything, it's of no consequence to me in that respect.
I bought it mainly for my Senn HD 650s and a simple 3 pc. stereo set up, since I live in a townhome I can't go crazy. So I can't help you on whether they will be better or the have same output as your existing ZxR. I would probably save the money myself unless you are looking to upgrade your system in general.

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Thanks for your input.. I've gone crazy today and took AE-9 and Edifier S760D which I found on a great 25% off deal.
Both speakers and soundcard are great products. I feel like there's a definite step up in audio fidelity especially in the headphone amp of AE-9 which is really good for the money. I will probably go for the Burson opamps as well in the future.. But for the time being I'm more than pleased with the new setup.. Audio is definitely a step up and ZxR was no slouch!

Reactions: GrumpyMan