Need video editing help...

Tripitz

Member
May 3, 2001
50
0
0
I have a WinFast TV Tuner and I've been recording in MPG2 "Optimal" quality, which is pretty decent. Unfortunately, the file sizes are tremendous. I've sampled some online TV recordings and they usually come in at 360mb for about a 42 minute show. I'm coming in at 2 GB for a 60 minute show. The quality is definitely the same. I've played around with the lower quality recording settings and it stunk (definitely worse than the downloaded stuff I've sampled).

What do I need to reduce the file size?

What software can I use to get rid of commercials, etc? I've tried the Ulead software and thought it was pretty weak. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 

Pauli

Senior member
Oct 14, 1999
836
0
0
Most people use DIVX to compress MPeg2 video down to a manageable size. May be some quality loss.
 

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
4,362
0
71
>What software can I use to get rid of commercials, etc? I've tried the Ulead software and thought it was pretty weak.

Try M2-Edit Pro it's not weak at all. or try Vegas Video 4c for linear video editing, not weak at all.

I would suggest you go to MPEG-1 instead then you could go for Video Factory for $70 or VCDcutter for $20 I presently use vcdcutter 4.04 which can do simple edits like remove commercials, split mpeg's in 2 to fit on CD-R's ect... it's also a great player, this is the one I use all the time.

Welcome to video editing :)
 

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
2,911
0
0
Spend some time browing doom9.net. This is the *ULTIMATE* video conversion site, and the best thing is 90% of the tools you need are free. Of course, the other 10% tend to range in the $1K+ range, but most of these are for working with DVD's, something you probably will not be doing.

-Chu
 

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
2,911
0
0
Oh, and for future reference, if your card comes with the right windows drivers, in the future you can capture using virtual dub directly to divx, if your computer is fast enough. There is a very detailed (and might be overwhelming if you don't have some background) guide also avaliable on doom9.

-Chu
 

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
1,919
2
0
Buy a video compressor like Cleaner or use DIVX if you want to compress and lower the file size of the video
 

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
4,362
0
71
everything has a price, I've been doing this for over 5 years now and the one thing I found is that the less the cost the more pain in the ass it is. You eventually get what you pay for.

my pain was cured by a doctor..... Dr. Mercury
 

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
1,721
0
0
Do you guys find that if you compress on the fly that it is harder to cut out commercials (due to keyframes not being in the right place)? I end up capturing video in some lossless codec and then cutting out commercials while I recompress. It obviously takes more time and space this way.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY