NEED (Urgently) a New Forum!!!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
The nicest thing EVAR done for OT was the creation of "Politics and News".

Now there is a urgent new and similar need - TO CREATE A "RELIGIOUS AND PHILOSOPY" FORUM

there are WAAY too many in OT who want to "convert" me and it is NO LONGER A FRIENDLY place to discuss anything without reading about "god's love 4me" . . . or the HATERS who reply NEGATIVELY to this propangandizing.

Creating this NEW FORUM would divert half of these topics there and those WHO WANT to discuss can go THERE.

PLEASE

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Don't read or post to such a thread?
What am I missing here?

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Aren't there enough religious forums on the web?

Why must we devote bandwidth to them here as well?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
What am I missing here?
That isN'T the point . . .

there is a determined group that HIJACKS many interesting discussions into a religious flame-fest.

Would you rather "Politics and news" forum was eliminated and those discussions returned to OT? :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
Aren't there enough religious forums on the web?

Why must we devote bandwidth to them here as well?
You guys are missing the point: IT IS TO ELIMINATE SUCH DISCUSSIONS IN OT. ;)
(bandwith usage would remain the same or LESS)

edit: to answer your 1st question: yes . . . I'd also like LESS "religious static" in OT . . .

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
You guys are missing the point: IT IS TO ELIMINATE SUCH DISCUSSIONS IN OT. ;)
(bandwith usage would remain the same or LESS)

Well now that you put it that way - I'm FOR this plan :) :)

Some people here on AT make it their mission to continually "bump" religious threads - as if they are increasing the chances of someone clicking on one of those threads and being instantly *CONVERTED*....
rolleye.gif

:beer::D

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
What am I missing here?

there is a determined group that HIJACKS many interesting discussions into a religious flame-fest.

Would you rather "Politics and news" forum was eliminated and those discussions returned to OT? :p

There are groups that take religious threads and feel the need to try and put down religion and help us "sheep" see the light of freedrom from our God that doesn't exist.

There are also religious people that see the need to take every evolution thread and turn it into a creation vs evolution thread, trying to show the light to some athiests/agnostics/whatever.

It goes both ways and until a Religious forum is created, OT will be invested with them.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I am an atheist. I don't mind the religious talk and I am not worried that anything they say or do will convert me. If they are just flaming or crapping in a thread (that wasn't about religion to begin with) to spread their lies, they should be dealt with as individuals.
Coming from a military background, I have a hard time saying that certain discussions shouldn't be allowed. As should every American.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Yzzim
What am I missing here?

There are groups that take religious threads and feel the need to try and put down religion and help us "sheep" see the light of freedrom from our God that doesn't exist.

There are also religious people that see the need to take every evolution thread and turn it into a creation vs evolution thread, trying to show the light to some athiests/agnostics/whatever.

It goes both ways and until a Religious forum is created, OT will be invested with them.
Thank-you for making my point . .. a SIMPLE SOLUTION to OT forum DISharmony is the creation of a "religious/philosophy" forum. :)

EDIT: I recognize that you may not realize you agree with me but I DID awknowledge that "it goes both ways" (that's why there is DIS harmony) - by mentioning the "haters" who interrupt religious discussions.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
What am I missing here?

Thank-you for making my point . .. a SIMPLE SOLUTION to OT forum DISharmony is the creation of a "religious/philosophy" forum. :)
Agreed. But one forum would have to be eliminated. How about OT?
;)

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
What am I missing here?

EDIT: I recognize that you may not realize you agree with me but I DID awknowledge that "it goes both ways" (that's why there is DIS harmony) - by mentioning the "haters" who interrupt religious discussions.

Hmm, don't know if creating a religion forum is going to bring the OT forum peace.

There's still Nissan fan boys out there

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Agreed. But one forum would have to be eliminated. How about OT?
;)
I didn't think one had to be eliminated . . . anyway, How about COMBINING Politics AND RELIGION into 1 forum?

:D

I'd be an "interesting" place. ;)

edit: Naw, I am not talking about OT "peace" - but something better than the disaster it has recently become.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Just get rid of them. Anandtech is a computer forum, not a place to covert people.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
The last thing the Mods need is to be trying to control flaming over religion. Plus it could be hard on them because they could be accused of being biased towards one or another. I think the best thing would be to ban all the major OT'ers and delete the Off Topic and Politics forums. :D

-Por

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: PorBleemo
The last thing the Mods need is to be trying to control flaming over religion. Plus it could be hard on them because they could be accused of being biased towards one or another. I think the best thing would be to ban all the major OT'ers and delete the Off Topic and Politics forums. :D

-Por
Nonsense. The mods ALREADY control flaming over religion . . . currently in OT. This would SIMPLIFY life for them and concentrate the flames in ONE place easy to moderate (just like in "Politics" now) . . .

I know - speaking of 'flames' - we could call the new forum "hell"

(or "heck" for the easily offended).
rolleye.gif

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: PorBleemo

-Por
Nonsense. The mods ALREADY control flaming over religion . . . currently in OT. This would SIMPLIFY life for them and concentrate the flames in ONE place easy to moderate (just like in "Politics" now) . . .

I know - speaking of 'flames' - we could call the new forum "hell"

(or "heck" for the easily offended).
rolleye.gif

LOL, Just consolidate P&N and a religion forum in to that.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Think about why P&N was created. There were so many posts about Afganistan and the war that people wanted a temporary solution to move it out of OT. They created a thread that was the only place such posts were allowed. That didn't work so P&N was created. As far as I ever knew it was a temporary solution until the fervor died down and then all those posts would go back to OT.

But P&N has been immensely popular so it will stay.

I can't see such a thing happening with a religious forum. It would see little if any use. The only purpose it would serve is for people like you to say "Take it to R&P. I don't want to hear about it."

Instead, just ignore them.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Kyteland
Think about why P&N was created. There were so many posts about Afganistan and the war that people wanted a temporary solution to move it out of OT. They created a thread that was the only place such posts were allowed. That didn't work so P&N was created. As far as I ever knew it was a temporary solution until the fervor died down and then all those posts would go back to OT.

But P&N has been immensely popular so it will stay.

I can't see such a thing happening with a religious forum. It would see little if any use. The only purpose it would serve is for people like you to say "Take it to R&P. I don't want to hear about it."

Instead, just ignore them.
Let me put it another way . . . politics got so "out of hand" that it was impossible to ignore . . . just like religion is getting NOW.

I really can't post in OT anymore without offending someone and I almost completely stopped visiting there anymore.

Unless I am mistaken, I was (one of the) first to suggest the "Politics" forum - and OT is better for it (now) until the religious issues started getting out of control.

Personally, IF I were making the decisions, I MOVE religion INTO the P&N Forum as the simplest way to 'test" it. I think we'd all (except for the immature pro-/anti- flamers) be happier with a "clean" OT. ;)

"people like me"? What about "people like you"? :p

rolleye.gif

Buz2b

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2001
I'm not an atheist nor overly religeous but I think trying to "get rid" of people because you don't like them posting in your threads or talking about religion is just plain wrong. It smells of a "nicer" form of censorship. It's like, "I don't like what you have to say so I'm going to make a special room for you so I don't have to listen." C'mon, I don't spend much time (almost zilch) in OT but I don't think someone could continually try to "hijack" threads with religion and not get some sort of feedback from the Mods. Wouldn't it be a form of Thread crapping, or isn't that kind of thing an issue in OT? Otherwise, if someone wants to give a religious side/viewpoint of an argument (whatever that argument is), that should be allowed just as much as an atheist viewpoint should be. I believe that would fall under the lines of "Free Speech".
Now that I put a target on my back perhaps you could "enlighten" me. Why not point/link to an example of this thread hijacking by the religious zealots so that I may better understand your side of the argument? Personally, I think creating a new forum wouldn't be necessary but who knows, I have an open mind.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
"people like me"? What about "people like you"? :p

meh, that didn't come out like I'd hoped.

Part of the problem with OT is that there are too may people trying to get attention. When the mods "censor" a topic or word they aren't trying to limit your right to free speach, they are just trying to cut off all the dumbsh!ts being stupid. Examples of this are st@b, dh!tb, !btl, "go end yourself", YAGT (for a while at least), and the list goes on and on. Every time they ban one these, people come up with a new gimmick.

Religion is starting to do the same thing. TommyVercetti (sp?) was trolling like this for a while. It is starting to grate on people's nerves, but that doesn't mean you should banish it to another forum. Aside from trolling it is not a popular enough topic to need its own forum.

Just my opinion

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Buz2b
I'm not an atheist nor overly religeous but I think trying to "get rid" of people because you don't like them posting in your threads or talking about religion is just plain wrong. It smells of a "nicer" form of censorship. It's like, "I don't like what you have to say so I'm going to make a special room for you so I don't have to listen." C'mon, I don't spend much time (almost zilch) in OT but I don't think someone could continually try to "hijack" threads with religion and not get some sort of feedback from the Mods. Wouldn't it be a form of Thread crapping, or isn't that kind of thing an issue in OT? Otherwise, if someone wants to give a religious side/viewpoint of an argument (whatever that argument is), that should be allowed just as much as an atheist viewpoint should be. I believe that would fall under the lines of "Free Speech".
Now that I put a target on my back perhaps you could "enlighten" me. Why not point/link to an example of this thread hijacking by the religious zealots so that I may better understand your side of the argument? Personally, I think creating a new forum wouldn't be necessary but who knows, I have an open mind.
I am NOT for censorship or trying to silence people - if you believe this you are missing my point.

I am for REstoring some semblance of order in OT - some harmony like USED to exist there (at least at times).

Religion is a "special' topic of great interest to many people - like politics. It "deserves" its own special forum. And OT deserves "freedom" from Religon & Politics. ;)

. . .

. . . And, I was kidding about the "people like you" comment. :D