Need to rewaterproof my North Face Jacket....

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
What spray or wash do you use to make the water beed off? I've tried several, NIXWAX and this Blue Spray from REI. Anyone have suggestions?

They have special soltuions you can use in the wash as detergent that'll restore the GoreTex's water resistant qualities. Also, drying it on low heat is also beneficial after washing with such a solution.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Gore-tex is a membrane....it is always waterproof and breatheable. Gore-tex has no "water-resistant" qualities. If it gets clogged by dirt, liquid detergent, etc. its more difficult to restore. Some chemicals will clog the pores permanently.

The shell itself can be restored by the washable liquids that you mention. The low-heat dryer helps spread the formula more evenly. Also can be used to temporarily restore some beading properties in slightly worn outerwear w/coatings. I use mainly NIKWAX, but nothing is quite as good as the dwr that is applied at the factory.

Originally posted by: freebee
Gore-tex is a membrane....it is always waterproof and breatheable. Gore-tex has no "water-resistant" qualities. If it gets clogged by dirt, liquid detergent, etc. its more difficult to restore. Some chemicals will clog the pores permanently.

The shell itself can be restored by the washable liquids that you mention. The low-heat dryer helps spread the formula more evenly. Also can be used to temporarily restore some beading properties in slightly worn outerwear w/coatings. I use mainly NIKWAX, but nothing is quite as good as the dwr that is applied at the factory.
Well...I stand corrected. :eek: