Need to put more of your life online? Now there's Blippy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The CEO of Twitter recently said, "Many of the great businesses of the next decade will be about making information about our behaviors more visible."

So if Facebook, Twitter and other sites don't provide you with enough opportunies to reveal your private life, you can look forward to Blippy.

Blippy (in private beta now) allows you to register your credit card and then displays your transactions online for other people to see and comment on. Like Twitter, people could follow your Blippy stream and say whether they "like" your transactions. "The big question that Blippy answers is 'What are your friends buying?'," Blippy's co-founder said.

To remind you that what you buy with your credit card will become public knowledge, you get a sticker to put on your card. The idea is you would use your "Blippy" card for things you don't mind sharing with others, and use a different card for purchases you want to keep private.

Maybe someone could explain to me why this actually could appeal to people. If it does, you can visit blippy.com/beta to be notified when they will let people sign up.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Nothing like asking people to judge you about things you don't normally buy

this is probably the stupidest idea ever!

Would be cool though for monitoring one of your kid's credit cards.....but why not just do that online anyway?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Sounds just like a clever way to get people to release their buying habits for free under the guise of 'telling their friends' or social networking. Free marketing data heh.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Some of the frugality/spend-a-holic/get-out-of-debt forums more or less do this where people spill their financial guts to the group and the other members recommend where to cut.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Nothing like asking people to judge you about things you don't normally buy

this is probably the stupidest idea ever!

Would be cool though for monitoring one of your kid's credit cards.....but why not just do that online anyway?

Worst part is though, I can really see teenagers eating that shit up. Speaking of which, if anyone would like to follow my twitter feed, I just tweeted an indepth play-by-play account of my latest bowel movements. Let's just say, there's a surprise ending. :awe:

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Why would anyone want to do this? I don't give a shit whether anyone else approves of my purchases and am against putting my entire life on the internet on principle. This is just going to turn into one more datapoint for marketing to use in their continued brainwashing of the masses.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Some of the frugality/spend-a-holic/get-out-of-debt forums more or less do this where people spill their financial guts to the group and the other members recommend where to cut.

This. I can only see this being used as a tool where someone's spending habits are truly awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.