Need to get a webserver... where should i go?

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
I need to find a webserver. (want to be able to make a website and play around, see if i can learn some things down here) I really don't know jack about this sort of thing so all the help you have would be awsome.

need to have a lot of storage space, and bandwidth, needs to support php too.

someplace where i can purchase a webserver and register a domain name would be stellar... max that i wanna spend per month is 40 bucks... not sure what exactly i can get for that. thanks in advance!

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
You're not being very clear on what you want to do. Do you want to:

1. Build your own webserver, have it physically located at your house, then buy a domain name and have it forwarded to your static IP at home?

OR

2. Just purchase some webspace with a hosting company and use their server and their bandwith?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i'd post this on Webhosting Talk Forums. scroll to the bottom and goto the Web Hosting Requests and post there.. I remember reading a thread where Rossman had told someone to post a request, and afterwards received alot replies back right away from hosting companies..

for $29.95 a month (or $299.50/yr) you can get 1GB Storage/20GB monthly transfers/200 email accounts from Dixiesys.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
2. Just purchase some webspace with a hosting company and use their server and their bandwith?

for $29.95 a month (or $299.50/yr) you can get 1GB Storage/20GB monthly transfers/200 email accounts from Dixiesys.

20 gigs? that seems like a good deal...?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
20 gigs? that seems like a good deal...?

yeah, i suppose.. i really havent researched the costs for that amount of bandwidth/storage since i only have a small site plan with dixiesys. the $29.95/month is the most expensive webhosting plan that dixiesys lists on their website. but they also will customize plans to customers needs.. closest to $40/month you listed..

how much storage/bandwidth are you looking for roughly speaking?

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Large Site Hosting $14.95/month or $149.50/year 600 megs storage 12GB monthly transfers 75 e-mail accounts at dixiesys.. sorry for the cut and paste job.

nope, no problems at all.. well, i really havent set up my website... but check out aphexii's, rallispec's forums.. they're hosted at dixiesys. alot of people on anandtech are hosted by dixiesys.. i'm sure they'll chime in sooner or later. :)

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Or you could get a server, get cable as your internet connection, and host your own website. That's what a lot of people do.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Or you could get a server, get cable as your internet connection, and host your own website. That's what a lot of people do.

could... but i dont' want to.

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: stev0

could... but i dont' want to.

laaaaaazzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
if you're just "playing around" you're not gonna need nearly enough bandwidth to fill up a cable line. Do you think you're going to get any significant amount of hits? Besides, HTML takes up very little space. Do you have any idea how huge a 10GB site would be?

civad

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
Or you could get a server, get cable as your internet connection, and host your own website. That's what a lot of people do

Would that be a good diea for someone who wants to try it for the first time? One disagrees. (What about firewalls/ setting up appropriate permissions, etc...)

Moreover, as it has been said:

laaaaaazzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

--Civ

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
if you want to test out a website before actually taking the plunge and buying hosting space, give PHPDev a try.. i have it installed on my Win2k pro machine and is great for testing out scripts before installing them on my dixiesys account. has apache, mysql, php4, phpmyadmin.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
i know how to make sites... i really just want to have it to be able to play around with php, other stuff that i learn here at school...

something i've always wanted anyway... got sick of those geocities pages and junk like that. :) ty for the prog though i'm sure it will be very useful