Need to find Full Size Van conversion parts. help

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Cliff Notes:

I have a 95 G20 Chevy cargo van with 20K miles on it.

Wife says I can turn it into a passenger van.

I can only find one decent web site with van parts discountvantruck.

I need seats, sofa, lights, seat belts, everything, it's really a cargo van.

I've Googled till my eyes bled, anyone got any better different sites I can look @?

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
The best thing I can tell you is that carpet and trim are the absolute MOST important things.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you sure you want to go through all that? Why not buy a conversion already done, and sell that one? There are a LOT of little details that would take quite a bit of time and money to execute.

Edit: Perhaps get a conversion van from the bone yard and put it's interior in yours. Maybe one with the engine pulled, or having been in an accident. Honestly, I think you'll find the task daunting, but hey, who knows?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
Are you sure you want to go through all that? Why not buy a conversion already done, and sell that one? There are a LOT of little details that would take quite a bit of time and money to execute.

Edit: Perhaps get a conversion van from the bone yard and put it's interior in yours. Maybe one with the engine pulled, or having been in an accident. Honestly, I think you'll find the task daunting, but hey, who knows?

I bought it new, it's been my white whale:(

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
G20 is a 3/4 ton, right? Only 20K on it? That would make an AWESOME work truck. I'll trade ya my '88 E-150 with 120K on it. It's got the full Universal conversion package with heavily insulated headliner, captain's chairs, dual A/C and fuel tanks. All it needs is a 'little' rust removal. ;)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Look in the yellow pages for conversion shops.

They will be able to tell you places that have items and/or may have some conversion magazines for you to look at.

Swing by some newstands and find some magazines that deal with conversions. They will have a lot of sponsors/ads init.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ornery
G20 is a 3/4 ton, right? Only 20K on it? That would make an AWESOME work truck. I'll trade ya my '88 E-150 with 120K on it. It's got the full Universal conversion package with heavily insulated headliner, captain's chairs, dual A/C and fuel tanks. All it needs is a 'little' rust removal. ;)

Nah, I ordered it the way it is, got the 6.5l diesel engine in it & rear air.

I'm thinking of doing tongue & groove 4-6" boards on the walls, have a massive ~50 qt thermoelectric cooler to build a cabinet around.

Basically want to chunk a sterero, seats & walls in it for now.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Basically, everything you'll want except for the seats should come from Home Depot and craft supply stores. Unless your van already has full windows, you'll want to have some put in professionally. This may be difficult, as most upfitters got the vans from the factory with the window configuration they wanted.

It's not as difficult a task as people make it seem - it's similar to finishing a room, except the walls are metal instead of wood.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Good luck man. When I had my conversion van and I need some of work done to the "conversion" parts there was only 1 guy in all of Houston that would work on it. Most shops didn't want to touch it. The best place to go to is one of the builders like starcraft or explorer.

Or try this site. or this site

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Basically, everything you'll want except for the seats should come from Home Depot and craft supply stores. Unless your van already has full windows, you'll want to have some put in professionally. This may be difficult, as most upfitters got the vans from the factory with the window configuration they wanted.

It's not as difficult a task as people make it seem - it's similar to finishing a room, except the walls are metal instead of wood.

It has the rear & side door windows, am considering not putting in the extra windows.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
junkyard,
look for seats from a dodge or ford van,too,
as long as the seat brakets are flat,you can bolt to the floor however you want.

Just be careful when you drill holes,that you don't hit fuel lines/gas ;lines,LOL

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
junkyard,
look for seats from a dodge or ford van,too,
as long as the seat brakets are flat,you can bolt to the floor however you want.

Just be careful when you drill holes,that you don't hit fuel lines/gas ;lines,LOL

My dad screwed a plywood floor into a van once & straight into the fuel tank about 9 times...

I had to pull the tank & patch it about a year later when I figured ot what he'd done:eek: