Need to DL Quicktime videos and convert to something else

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
My teacher uploaded videos for lectures but she did them in QT format, she thinks that if she uploads them to youtube then youtube owns them. Why she doesnt use any other format is beyond me.

So anyway I can not play quicktime on my laptop (chromebook) So I want to download the videos and convert them.

First step is getting them downloaded, Any free ways you know to get them?

Thanks

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Does anyone have an answer? I can play them in firefox on my PC but it doesnt DL the actual file. Anyone know a way?

I played around with the source code and have found a way to DL them. If I change them to .mkv files they play but the first 30 seconds is really choppy and skips frames, after that it smooths out. Any ideas why?

Do you think converting them to another format with a program will eliminate that issue?

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Use FlashGot to download in a format you can use. I like webm, and if I just want audio, I strip the vorbis sound from it. Talk to your teacher about software freedom. As a leader, she's morally obligated to use libre formats in her instruction.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Use FlashGot to download in a format you can use. I like webm, and if I just want audio, I strip the vorbis sound from it. Talk to your teacher about software freedom. As a leader, she's morally obligated to use libre formats in her instruction.

Couldnt get it to work,

Morally maybe. Legally I doubt it.

She wont budge on the issue I just have to find a work around.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Couldnt get it to work,

Morally maybe. Legally I doubt it.

She wont budge on the issue I just have to find a work around.

When you rightclick the pulsing FlashGot icon, and expand the downloadable items menu, you don't get multiple choices?

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
It "downloads" something but it never asks where to save it and if i open the downloaded tab on it they don't open.

I'll try again tonight.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't have my desktop in front of me, but here's generally how it works...

Place the FlashGot icon on your browser somewhere through Firefox's builtin customize. It may do it on install, but I can't remember. I like it on the right of the urlbar.

Exit customize, and the icon will disappear.

goto Youtube, and the icon will appear, and gently pulse showing tnere's downloadable media.

Rightclick the icon, and somewhere towards the bottom of the context menu shojld give an expandable category showing the various formats that can be downloaded.

Pick the format you like, and it'll download.... somewhere. I think that needs to be set in FlashGot options.

One bug in this plan is all formats may not be available, especially if the video's private. I guess you're SOL in that case, but there should be a way to transcode the video.

I still think you should pressure the teacher to use libre formats. Requiring proprietary software is a dick move, and goes against the principle of free access to knowledge. I assume she uses some kind of Apple product. It would be helpful if you could show her how to use a libre format, so she doesn't have to think about it. She may be more agreeable if there's a ready solution.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Not saying this utility will successfully convert them, but it might:
http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html

Most .mov files are the exact same video & audio encoding found in .mp4 files, and if so the yamb software converts from one file format to the other without re-encoding the streams. Yamb only runs under Windows but the resulting .mp4 file should play no problem on a chromebook.

Last edited:

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
QuickTime conformed with the AVC/AAC standard more than a decade ago. So that implies the teacher needs to update their method to avoid such incompatibility issues. It may as simple as using MP4 extension rather than MOV which is otherwise the same. It would also make sense to provide direct download links and/or FTP (actually more sense than silly embeded videos).