• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Need to build new HTPC....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Do you feel the fan would last on any of the m/b's 5yrs+?
It might. Especially if it's not spinning, or spinning at a low speed. If you aren't planning on running any PCIe4 devices then you don't really need it anyway. Chipset temps of ~70C aren't a huge problem.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Now that i've finally updated to x570 I haven't heard the chipset fan once.
'
And i'm running a Corsair MP600 1TB Pcie 4 drive as my OS drive.

I think all the concerns are inflated motherboards and chipset fans are of much higher quality now than in previous years.

Last edited:
Reactions: scannall

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Now that i've finally updated to x570 I haven't heard the chipset fan once.
'
And i'm running a Corsair MP600 1TB Pcie 4 drive as my OS drive.

I think all the concerned are inflated motherboards and chipset fans are of much higher quality now than in previous years.
I agree with you. I had my fan at the fastest setting, and it was silent. I turned it down when I saw DrMrLordX say that 70C wasn't a problem. I'm not that high, but it's winter.

Reactions: Makaveli

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have my x570 Aorus Master's fan running in the default "balanced" configuration. Chipset temp rarely goes above 45C. I only hear it during the POST sequence when it spins up to max RPMs briefly. There's no boot "beep" from a system speaker, so the fan spinup is the substitute (heh). If the fan failed, I estimate that temps would probably sit around 65-70C. Might turn it off one of these days to see what would happen. That's with two NVMe SSDs (970 Evo 1TB, MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB).

ASK THE COMMUNITY