Need to be able to use 4 displays at 1920x1200 on a single video card...

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
Building a new work/gaming PC for a friend who needs to be able to use 4 displays at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. The idea was to go with a GTX 1080ti until I saw that it was limited to 7680x4320 @ 60Hz, basically, 4 x 1080 displays, not 1200...

My plan B was to go with a RX VEGA but they're impossible to find, at least in The Great White North...

Short of going with an SLI solution(assuming that would even works), what are my options?

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
Your math is off, that's enough for 16 1920x1080 monitors.

7680x4320/(1920x1080) = 16

Yes, I realized that mistake a few hours after posting it and forgot to edit it. What did confuse me was that the other bit of information I was able to get was that a GTX 980ti could support 4 x 1920 x 1080, which is where I got that original "bad" math.

Still, a maximum supported resolution doesn't mean you can divide it on any number of monitors. On most forums, I still got that 4 x 1920 x 1080 answer even when talking about the GTX 1080.

Anyhow, I guess it's a moot point for the time being now that it's impossible to find any GPU at a reasonable price.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
The only problem you are really having is the fountain of mis-information you are drinking from :rolleyes:
All recent upper tier AMD cards handle that resolution with ease, as do Nvidia cards.
Here's a "from the horse's mouth" source for your Nvidia cards - https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

(And yes, you can divide the total resolution on more than 4 monitors, but you will need to use DP and a DP hub.
The "4 monitors" (both AMD and Nvidia) refers to what the card(s) itself/themselves can drive directly from it's/their ports.
But save this for a more advanced day, well after you get experience setting up multiple monitors)

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Building a new work/gaming PC for a friend who needs to be able to use 4 displays at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. The idea was to go with a GTX 1080ti

Is this for gaming? If its just for driving 4x 1200p monitors, why not a Quadro P600? 4x Displayport 1.4 should be fine, although you may need adaptors for HDMI/DVI. It is -a lot- cheaper then a 1080ti right now.

Heck, its even low profile...

Reactions: Le Québécois

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
Is this for gaming? If its just for driving 4x 1200p monitors, why not a Quadro P600? 4x Displayport 1.4 should be fine, although you may need adaptors for HDMI/DVI. It is -a lot- cheaper then a 1080ti right now.

Heck, its even low profile...

That's a good question, one for which he's unable to answer...

The short version is that he used to be a gamer and worked for EA as a Shader Engineer for a few years before he went on his own and founded his company. Made a lot of money and decided he had enough. So now, instead of working 80h/week to run a company, he's not doing much, trying to figure out what's next. All he knows is that he needs a new computer because his old tower is like 15 years old and his laptop, well, is a laptop...

He's basically asking me to build a very high end and silent computer (between 3000/4000 CAD) that can be used for gaming and working, what ever he decides to do next...

I know he's been playing a lot of CS:Source lately but that's about it for now.

The only requirements I have are :

Needs to be quiet.
Needs to look good in a professional way, so no LED non sense.
Needs to be simple to use. That's why I'm trying to avoid going with a the multiple video cards setup.
Needs to be able to run 4x1920x1200@60Hz minimum.
Best video card possible for gaming, just in case he decides to play...

I'm well aware of the current price problem with video cards (I was lucky enough to grab a 1080 for myself for $550 just before Christmas) and so is he but he doesn't mind waiting a bit.

I've already got everything else figured out, my only problem left is the video card.

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
The only problem you are really having is the fountain of mis-information you are drinking from :rolleyes:
All recent upper tier AMD cards handle that resolution with ease, as do Nvidia cards.
Here's a "from the horse's mouth" source for your Nvidia cards - https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

(And yes, you can divide the total resolution on more than 4 monitors, but you will need to use DP and a DP hub.
The "4 monitors" (both AMD and Nvidia) refers to what the card(s) itself/themselves can drive directly from it's/their ports.
But save this for a more advanced day, well after you get experience setting up multiple monitors)

You know, I've been coming to these forums for almost 2 decades now because the users are usually quite friendly and do their best to help.

If you want to help, I'll be happy to read what you have to say but you can keep the smug/condescending attitude for somewhere else.

I've seen the link you posted, months ago before I created this thread, and the problem is that even that isn't precise enough: "Max of 4 displays can be used simultaneously (3 if monitors are 4K)"

The problem is, this isn't an absolute answer, it leaves some rooms for uncertainty, something I want to avoid before building his PC. Hence why I'm trying to find if it can without any doubt.

Again, your help is welcome if you can stay friendly and non condescending. If not, don't bother to reply.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
My apologies for assuming you had a sense of humor :oops:

How is the link unclear or uncertain?

Nvidia gives you the max. resolution of each card they sell in all supported configurations.
They also clearly state that the cards will only drive 3-4k monitors (accepted std. of 3840x2160), which is obvious when you compare the resolution of 3-4k monitors (accepted std. of 3840x2160) to the maximum resolution of all cards, in all configurations.
(They obviously include that line for those that either won't or can't do the math as a CYA statement)

Where is the uncertainty :confused:
If you are not willing to accept the manufacturer's specifications for their cards, why bother asking at all o_O

Good luck to you :D
Done.

Le Québécois

Dec 1, 1999
My apologies for assuming you had a sense of humor :oops:

How is the link unclear or uncertain?

Nvidia gives you the max. resolution of each card they sell in all supported configurations.
They also clearly state that the cards will only drive 3-4k monitors (accepted std. of 3840x2160), which is obvious when you compare the resolution of 3-4k monitors (accepted std. of 3840x2160) to the maximum resolution of all cards, in all configurations.
(They obviously include that line for those that either won't or can't do the math as a CYA statement)

Where is the uncertainty :confused:
If you are not willing to accept the manufacturer's specifications for their cards, why bother asking at all o_O

Good luck to you :D
Done.

I apologize if the intent was indeed humor and not condescending, my bad.

That said, you have no knowledge of... my prior knowledge on the topic(or my friend's knowledge, he's more the expert for these), at least from a professional level. I left that information out because I did not deem it relevant since he doesn't want to go with a professional card.

Ever heard of christie's microtiles? Setting walls of these to display very high resolution 3D interactive effects, you have no choice but to start doubting any information that is not 100% clear or you'll start having unforeseen and very costly issues.

Simply said, neither of us has been doing high end multi monitors setup using "only" a gaming card in quite a while and wanted to be sure we wouldn't be screwed up again by nVidia... I'd be less worried with AMD but seeing that VEGA 64 is even more impossible to find than a 1080 and that it is slower than a 1080ti, a GTX 1080ti is still the model we're aiming for.

Just like you, I assume that something being able to support 3x4K will be able to drive 4x1920x1200 but I don't have any confirmation on this and past experience in this does make me unsure about it being able to do so. How unsure, a few % maybe, but that's enough for me to want to ask for help for those who know more about this than me on this topic.

I hope this is enough for you to try to understand why I'm looking for confirmation and facts on which I can rely for sure.

Have a nice day and thank you for the help(no sarcasm at all, most sincere thx for trying to help).

PS: Since you seem to have full faith in what manufacturers tell you, I would highly recommend not trust every stats provided from monitors and TVs manufacturers.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
He's basically asking me to build a very high end and silent computer (between 3000/4000 CAD) that can be used for gaming and working, what ever he decides to do next...

I know he's been playing a lot of CS:Source lately but that's about it for now.

The only requirements I have are :

Needs to be quiet.
Needs to look good in a professional way, so no LED non sense.
Needs to be simple to use. That's why I'm trying to avoid going with a the multiple video cards setup.
Needs to be able to run 4x1920x1200@60Hz minimum.
Best video card possible for gaming, just in case he decides to play...

I'm well aware of the current price problem with video cards (I was lucky enough to grab a 1080 for myself for $550 just before Christmas) and so is he but he doesn't mind waiting a bit.

I've already got everything else figured out, my only problem left is the video card.

CS isn't really that demanding. But if he'll want to play triple-A games, you'll definitely want something more powerful then the P600. Its only equivalent to the GT1030 after all. A 1080(ti) certainly isn't overkill for 4K gaming. Which is in effect what this will be running across the 4 monitors (4K = 4x 1080p).

But the 1080ti is awfully expensive. If he is happy with 1080p@60Hz in a single monitor (or across the 4), then I wouldn't go lower then a 580/1060(6GB). But everything is out of whack currently, so there really isn't a perfect solution right now.