Need to add sugar to caramelize veggies in gas oven?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
defrosted broccoli/brussel sprouts sliced in half
and maybe fresh sliced onion

my plan:
mix veggies in salt, pepper, garlic powder spice mix
place on tinfoil lined baking sheet (or just tinfoil)
400F for 20 min

do i need to add sugar to my spice mix?
or will the veggies caramelize under their own natural sugars?

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
When you say carmilize, what you mean is the maillard reaction. Fat helps that along.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I do this with brussel sprouts all the time and they brown but don't carmilize because there isn't enough sugar in them to notice. You could add some red peppers or carrots to the mix to sweeten it up, but I just go for tart by putting balsamic vinegar over them when finished baking and it does have a "little" natural sugar in it too.

However I just throw them in a seasoned baking pan, usually in the toaster oven on high so maybe 400F pre-heated, for about 15 minutes.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I do this with brussel sprouts all the time and they brown but don't carmilize because there isn't enough sugar in them to notice.
would adding some sugar to the olive oil help with caramelizing?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Sugar doesn't dissolve in oil. If you've just rinsed it so it's wet, that'll dissolve a little, but personally I'd rather add sugar from additional veggies than resort to straight table sugar... if going that direction, I'd as soon use maple syrup but balsamic vinegar is sweet enough for me. If I wanted to get fancier than that, I'd throw in some garlic cloves and (3/4ths pre-cooked) bacon but for the garlic to get done *right* it needs to be wrapped in foil and bake a lot longer.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Sugar doesn't dissolve in oil. If you've just rinsed it so it's wet, that'll dissolve a little, but personally I'd rather add sugar from additional veggies than resort to straight table sugar... if going that direction, I'd as soon use maple syrup but balsamic vinegar is sweet enough for me.
ok, instead of sugar/olive oil, coat the spouts in maple syrup for caramelization?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I can't account for your taste. That'd be too sweet for me but it's not going to kill you to try it. :)