Need tips on buying a new car at a lot...

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
So I'm in the market to buy a car and I go to a lot, there I see this affluent Anglo male who's wheeling and dealing with a salesman. I spent about an hour looking around and the guy is still there but now he's smiling and signing what looks like sales forms.

So I wonder to myself what do I have to say or do to get a good deal at places like these. I don't know much about value and I don't have access to a "bluebook" so do you have any tips? Should I go in dressed like a bum? Should I act like I know the guy?

thanks

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Read this

You can find out the approximate invoice price of the car you're looking to buy at carsdirect.com. You can find the Kelley Blue Book value of your used car at kbb.com.

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Decide which vehicles you're interested in and educate yourself. The manufacturers websites are usually very informative.
Find out if there are any current incentives and the MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price).
Also, understand that NOBODY pays sticker price for a car, but, also understand that the dealers markup isn't as huge as everyone thinks. You can usually get them to drop the price a $1000 without even asking.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Hmmm, I wonder if these tips and such will work with Saturn and their no haggle policy. :D

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The only way you'll truly come out a winner is if you buy a well maintained used car from a private party.

Buying a new car is nice, and props to you if you can afford it, but you are never a winner once you drive it off the lot. Not bashing buying new cars; it's just a fact of life.

If you must buy new, get some killer financing package and make sure you get them below sticker.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Kaervak
Hmmm, I wonder if these tips and such will work with Saturn and their no haggle policy. :D

My dad is probably gonna cosign my next car for me. This will be the 4th honda in 2 years he's bought from the same dealership. The sales manager there knows him now and when he calls, the manager qoutes him invoice price straight up without any hassle.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: Kaervak

My dad is probably gonna cosign my next car for me. This will be the 4th honda in 2 years he's bought from the same dealership. The sales manager there knows him now and when he calls, the manager qoutes him invoice price straight up without any hassle.

Eh... not sure what that has to do with Saturn, since Saturn and Honda are obviously not that same company, but ok. :)