Need suggestions with a LAN setup

VladTrishkin

Sep 11, 2000

I have just moved to a nice new work lab, and want to hear your suggestions on the type of Ethernet I need. I am not the biggest networking expert, so that's why I want to see what's best for me here.

Ok, I have 3 systems that I need to hook up. I will be adding more systems later on (up to 5). I need a fast 100Mbit transfer solution. There will be no file server, just the workstations. I will have a 200k/s DSL (phone-line) connection, which needs to be shared between all systems. All systems must be able to share data on all the HD's, share printers, share DSL and be able to have a nice smooth LAN game play :D

I am thinking that I need a 6/10-port 100Mbit HUB, several 10/100Mbit NIC's and Ethernet cables. Any other suggestions towards a better setup are appreciated. Please let me hear you out!

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000
If they are all workstations, you will need to get a router to share the connection. If you are getting multiple IPs, then no need for on. But I would definetly change the hub to a switch.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Definitely go with a switch instead of a hub... esp with the minimal price difference these days...

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
A switch serves the same purpose as a hub, with some differences...

1) everytime you transfer something from 1 PC to another in a hub, that data gets broadcasts to every PC because, well, a hub is quite dumb... But with a switch, the information only gets transfer to the destination PC...

2) All PCs on a network connected with the hub shares the same backbone... So say you have a 100Mbit hub, with 5 PCs, then each PC only gets 20 Mbit... However with the same setup with a switch, each PC gets the full 100Mbit...

3) a switch is also full-duplex, which means you can transfer and receive data at the same time...

All these stuff boils down to a faster network... However for network with only a couple of PCs, you will not notice a difference btw a hub and switch... But when your network gets larger (maybe in a lan party), you will see the difference...

With the small difference of price between a hub and a switch now, there's really no reason to get a hub... so go for a switch...