Need suggestions for a new TV

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I want to get a new TV so I can get a dreamcast or ps2 plus my TV is a puny 13"'er that needs to go. I just got my tax return and I need a TV prefered with a built in VCR, decent size (20-27"), decent quality and features but low cost. I don't want a super expensive one, but it needs to have S-video input for my PC's tv-out.

any suggestions? brands to avoid? I would likely have to buy this locally since it would be cheaper right, considering shipping? or could I find a deal online somewhere?

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I'm not very confident in those TV/VCR all in one setups. I've had two that have broke prematurely. Why not get a seperate VCR? VCR's are so cheap these days that it wouldn't cost you much extra for a seperate unit, and you'll probably get have a better quality setup.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< I want to get a new TV so I can get a dreamcast or ps2 plus my TV is a puny 13&quot;'er that needs to go. I just got my tax return and I need a TV prefered with a built in VCR, decent size (20-27&quot;), decent quality and features but low cost. I don't want a super expensive one, but it needs to have S-video input for my PC's tv-out.

any suggestions? brands to avoid? I would likely have to buy this locally since it would be cheaper right, considering shipping? or could I find a deal online somewhere?
>>

I stongly advise NOT getting an all in one setup. Besides, you'll have a very hard time finding an all in one that's 20&quot; or bigger and has S-vid inputs.

Buy a 27&quot; Sony with S-vid inputs, and a Sony VCR.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
i dont recommend it either....if anything goes wrong its almost impossible to repair. Alot of places wont even take it in to repair because theres too big of a chance somethign else will go wrong when taking apart the tv/vcr to repair 1 part of it. Also, the only ones w/ 20+&quot; are pretty bad quality. Go with a sony wega or a samsung flatscreen....both are good.

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
Seems like alot of peeps bitching about the new sonys, quality doesent seem to be there.

I have a JVC, it is a great TV. Toshibas are also top of the line.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Well your ps2 is a dvd player and if you're like me you'll stop renting movies on cassette once you get it. These people are on the ball though in regards to not getting a combo :)

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
There are many good TV manufacturers out there: Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, JVC, etc. and I doubt you will be disappointed with any of them. Just make sure you take a look at the TV in a store and decide for yourself instead of buying it sight-unseen based on nothing but recommendations. It sounds obvious but a lot of people really don't spend enough time researching on their own. Everyone has their own taste...for example many people will tell you that Sony is the best but after testing them out I preferred Panasonic (deeper blacks).

Oh yeah, as other posters have mentioned a TV/VCR combo is a very, VERY bad idea. If either part breaks down you may have to replace the entire thing. Try to get seperate units if at all feasible. As far as size goes try to stay away from 20 and 25&quot; models as those are usually the dreaded budget units with cheaper quality components--go for 21 or 27&quot;.

Shack70

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2000
I just bought a Panasonic and I am very pleased with it. It'sprob out of your price range...it's a 32&quot; Flat Screen HDTV. It's got an $1800 pricetag to go with it, but WOW is it nice!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
get a mitsubishi 65&quot; 16:9 HDtv. SSX just simply rocks on it, get motion sick sometimes!

If you can't get the projection, the sony HDs are pretty nice. Phillips as well.

snakesnfrogs

Banned
Mar 1, 2001

<< Skip the Sanyo and GE tv's, they are the worst ya can get >>

I've got 2 Sanyo's---the one in the link that I just got, and a 19&quot; that we've had for 5 years that is still working great. :)

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
a lot of people love VVegas I prefer JVC flatscreen. You should go and look yourself since you may have a particular preference make sure to set them all to the same brightness and contrast and color saturation before looking at them , and know how long each has been on the floor. Some TVs generallly have the color brightness etc turned all the way up so they look better so that you buy them and spend more money, etc.

<< get a mitsubishi 65&quot; 16:9 HDtv. SSX just simply rocks on it, get motion sick sometimes! >>

baa, that's gameboy size. ;) 73&quot; Mits 16:9 HDTV is the way to go! Hook up that to M&amp;K 150 THX 7.1 speaker system (add a SVS sub from some extra bass and some buttkicker brand tactile feedback units to platforms below the chairs) and you're in heaven! Trust me :D

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
i just bought a 20&quot; Sony Wega for my bedroom
it was only $350 with taxes bought it at Brandsmart here in Miami
great TV
has S-video and my computer looks pretty nice on it!!

my Dad just bought a Mitsubishi 55&quot; 16:9 HDTV
and WOOOOOOOOW!!!
too bad its outside in the family room
i would connect my computer to it and play Black &amp; White on it!!

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
thanx for the suggestions.

I have a dvd drive on my pc and since my 19&quot; monitor is clearer and larger than my 13&quot; tv and my klipsch promedia's sound better than my tv speakers by far, I just watch dvd's on my computer. but if I could do tv-out to a large tv it would be nice.

I'd like to keep the audio thru the klipsch's though, since in my room I don't have anything else..

I don't know about the wega's, I'm a pretty broke college kid, this is for my bedroom, so I can't get a huge projection tv or anything

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I don't know about the wega's, I'm a pretty broke college kid, this is for my bedroom, so I can't get a huge projection tv or anything

You can afford a 'Vette but not a Wega?

:confused:

Never mind that, though, that's way off topic.

I would seriously look at a 20&quot; Wega. I got mine used for $265, in perfect condition. New they're around $350 - $400. Absolutely beautiful TV.

Viper GTS

Valhalla1

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
okay, I can afford the wega but I can't justify the purchase.. I rarely EVER watch TV.. only show I've watched all year is Survivor, and a spattering of sports games here and there.

I am thinking of getting a console gaming system though which I've never had, and I need something other than my beater 13&quot;, so I wanted a nice big cheap one that I can also watch DVD's on with tv-out so I don't have to buy a dvd player or expensive home theatre speakers, I'll use my computer dvd player and computer speakers since they more than fill my room with awesome sound for me.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i got a 27&quot; panasonic with all the bells and whistles. don't know why i, i almost never watch tv (its a function of not having had cable for a while, the apt had screwed it up and we were getting it free but then they fixed it). but its a really nice tv. i wonder when they're gonna stop selling curved tvs in the US, they have in asia. and my former roommate got a 27&quot; sharp with most of the bells and whistles for like $100 less than i got mine

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000
If you're looking for something a little cheaper than the Wega, the best values for 27inch TVs are either the JVC 27D202, or the Toshiba 27A40. The JVC is probably the better one because it has better speakers and is a little flatter. Both have component and S-video inputs...

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Panasonic Tau series. Superflat, much like a Sony Wega, only cheaper and better. Their top of the line 20&quot; goes for about $300 on Etronics, and only $30 for shipping. The &quot;comparable&quot; Sony model retails for about $500. The Panasonics are also available in larger sizes in the same model line as well.
Hope this help.

BTW, Panasonic has component in on the 20&quot;, Sony does not.