Need suggestions for a controller/gamepad

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Planning to get back into sport games like soccer and basketball, typically these games just don't work well with KB+M. Don't mind actual console gamepads as long as they are compatible and relatively easy to set up, I don't want to set up settings manually for each game. I would prefer a charging option over disposable batteries but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I have to admit, the Xbox One wireless is pretty convenient. It does however use batteries...unless there's a rechargeable option (which I'm sure there is).

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I am happy with my OLD Xbox 360 wireless controller and a simple China wireless adapter (Microsoft clone) from ebay. The batteries last a very long time. If you want to use rechargables, use Enerloop or similar quality batteries. Some games like Tombraider, GTA etc. play MUCH better with a controller.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, it's hard to go wrong with a 360 controller and some rechargeables (I've been using Tenergy hybrids for a few years).

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
As everyone else said the Xbox 360 controller is a really good controller for PC games, every games that uses controllers should recognize it and be preconfigured. And if you don't want to mess with batteries, and it fits your setup, you can get the wired version for a few bucks less.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have a few different 360 controllers and I like them all. MadKatz especially is good at making comfortable devices.

I hear nothing but good things about XBone controllers. Recommend you go to Walmart or Best Buy and try one out, see how it feels.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wired 360 controllers. It's cheaper than the wireless, easier than the wireless, and more convenient since you don't have to rely on batteries. I use two Afterglow wired 360 controllers and the cables are long enough that I am not restricted in the slightest.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I have xbox 360 wireless controllers with MS wireless adapter. Super easy to setup and the most compatible. May be hard to find an official MS adpater, but there is always the clones from China. The controllers are relatively cheap now (around $35 at target, cheaper if u don't mind used ones). Xbox One controllers are nice but they are too expensive.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Thank you all for suggestions. I've eliminated a few options based on user reviews, ideally it would have been a Logitech because it would be a PC centric device and I prefer their products but IMO their controllers are not up to par with other peripherals they make.

I think it's down to the xbox controllers. I'll only have one cable running under a rug to the PC (bought a Lapdog) so maybe I could use wired controllers but those cables would need more flex and should I get another later on... I'm going wireless.

As I was researching controllers, the 360 had a few users make negative remarks about the D pad. Is this a serious issue?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you all for suggestions. I've eliminated a few options based on user reviews, ideally it would have been a Logitech because it would be a PC centric device and I prefer their products but IMO their controllers are not up to par with other peripherals they make.

I think it's down to the xbox controllers. I'll only have one cable running under a rug to the PC (bought a Lapdog) so maybe I could use wired controllers but those cables would need more flex and should I get another later on... I'm going wireless.

As I was researching controllers, the 360 had a few users make negative remarks about the D pad. Is this a serious issue?

Not that I've found, but then again most games don't make heavy use of the D-pad. For the occasional press to do something like change an option or maneuver a menu it works just fine. If a game did make heavy use of it then it might be a problem.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I use a wired 360 controller as well as both the PS4 and xbox one controllers. They all work great.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Not that I've found, but then again most games don't make heavy use of the D-pad. For the occasional press to do something like change an option or maneuver a menu it works just fine. If a game did make heavy use of it then it might be a problem.

Most that you play. An important distinction.

Anyone looking to play almost any third person action game will want a good d-pad. Arkham games come as a prime example.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I recentlly got an Xbox One S and love the controller. Doesnt even need the MS receiver as its bluetooth. But, I also recently got the Xbox One Elite controller and I have to say, its the best made controller I have ever had in recent history.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
I picked up an Xbox One controller for $30 on sale and really like it. It works plugged in with a micro USB cable. I need a second controller for my son, and I'm thinking about getting an Xbox One S controller since I already have a bluetooth receiver. I don't know how big of a pain batteries would be though.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Thank you all. I found a deal on the xbox one controller at Target of all places, ordered the wireless adapter too.
Batteries can be frustrating but I always keep more than a few around the house and it's only a few games I'll use the controller for anyway so it should be fine.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Most that you play. An important distinction.
Anyone looking to play almost any third person action game will want a good d-pad. Arkham games come as a prime example.

I think I play mostly 3rd person games. I'm playing Brutal Legend now, and have been playing Kingdoms of Alamar (until I just kind of got bored of it). Neither of those games need more than the occasional D-pad press. I admit I have not played any of the Arkham games, although at least 2 of them are in my Steam library so I'll get around to them eventually.

I have Xbone controllers as well, but I've seen no reason to try syncing them to my PC since the wired 360 controllers work so well. My next game will probably be Shadows of Mordor, which uses a more Arkham style action system, so maybe then I'll see what you are talking about.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I think I play mostly 3rd person games. I'm playing Brutal Legend now, and have been playing Kingdoms of Alamar (until I just kind of got bored of it). Neither of those games need more than the occasional D-pad press. I admit I have not played any of the Arkham games, although at least 2 of them are in my Steam library so I'll get around to them eventually.

I have Xbone controllers as well, but I've seen no reason to try syncing them to my PC since the wired 360 controllers work so well. My next game will probably be Shadows of Mordor, which uses a more Arkham style action system, so maybe then I'll see what you are talking about.

In Arkham, especially the later ones, you get a lot of gadgets. It gets frustrating missing your timing for a takeout because you're fighting the d-pad trying to choose the right gadget. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough.

The d-pad on the 360 controller was always garbage, so any use of it all was always painful.