Need some suggestions. Looking to buy Case, Mobo, and AMD CPU

screamer000

Jan 26, 2006
I hope I posted this in the right spot.. not sure :(

I want to upgrade my 'fileserver' to play games now (just got a new LCD TV).
The hand-me-down gateway will not work with the vidcard I bought??... no matter I'm gonna get something new :).

Anyway here is what I got so far.

Storage and media:
3 Sata Drives
1 removable IDE drive (5.25" size)
1 ide DVD burner
2 External Drives

Video card:
eVGA 7800GT

Memory:
1GB PC3200 XMS Corsair 2-2-2-5 1T (2 512's)

PSU:
FSP Group 450W

Here is what I need:

Case... that will keep my harddrives cool cause it will run 24/7. I was thinking about getting this case -> CHENMING CMUI-601AEB-U

Motherboard... one that has room for my drives to plugin. I want to get a motherboard that has digital out with the onboard soundcard. I want to go to my Onkyo receiver for soround sound.I haven't bought a motherboard in about 2 years... so I have no clue what i should be looking for.

CPU... well with whatever money i have left over... get the best AMD chip (I like AMD :)). Btw I have an AMD 3700 chip in my lan gaming machine. If I can somehow get a dualcore chip with the leftover money I would put the 3700 in my 'fileserver'.

Any suggestions are appreciated... My first post here :eek:

screamer000

Jan 26, 2006
I like the suggestions, has everything i need :)

Do chenming cases not come with fans??

What are some good silent fans???

screamer000

Jan 26, 2006
Awesome! Thanks for your help.

I'm gonna wait till next payday to order this stuff so I can beef up the CPU to a 4200.

GamerExpress

Banned
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: screamer000
Awesome! Thanks for your help.

I'm gonna wait till next payday to order this stuff so I can beef up the CPU to a 4200.

No don't bother with the 4200+, if you are gonna save up go with the 4400+ otherwise it's not worth it. If you are looking to in the direction of overclocking save up and get the Opteron 165 for the CPU.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: GamerExpress

No don't bother with the 4200+, if you are gonna save up go with the 4400+ otherwise it's not worth it. If you are looking to in the direction of overclocking save up and get the Opteron 165 for the CPU.

i'd either go with the 3800+ or th 165 as GamerExpress stated. He also recommended the epox mobo which i recommend as well