Need some networking help/advice plz.

scooter2479

Feb 2, 2005
:eek: Ok I'm moving into a new house and I'm going to set up the house with better access to Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections.

I have a 300mb fiber connection. It's connected via a Netgest Nighthawk X6 rR8000. I'm wanting to expand the Wi-Fi network throughout the house for better connectivity but I also want to add a switch or 2 so I can connect my Hopper 3, Apple Tv, Xbox One etc via Ethernet.

So I was thinking of this:

Fiber >Nighthawk>switch, so I can connect my office via ethernet / Add a 2nd router as a reapter>switch on it near my devices for wired connections.

Is this a good way of doing it? What router should I use with the Nighthawk as a reapter that will automatically switch over networks without having to reconnect to the other? Or is there a better way to do all this? I'm open to ideas. Thanks in advance!:beermug:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ont -- firewall -- router -- switch --- wap

Generally speaking isp will wire to your wiring closet, which usuallg is in the basement. Not an ideal spot for wifi router.

Is your house wired for ethernet?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Fiber >Nighthawk>switch, so I can connect my office via ethernet / Add a 2nd router as a reapter>switch on it near my devices for wired connections.

These days Tech language was replaced by Verbiage and the problem becomes more of Understanding Tech Question rather than knowing the answer. :rolleyes:

If the above quote means a second Wireless Router connecting to the Nighthawk Wireless, while the second Router works as a Wireless Repeater it is a Very Bad idea.:(

If you do not need Wireless in the office put there a simple Router, then lay an Etherent cable to a center spot in the house and use there the "Hawk" as am Access Point with a switch.

Using Wireless Routers (or Modem/Wireless Router) as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

:cool:

scooter2479

Feb 2, 2005
I like the idea. We have hardwood floors so running a line across is not practical. What about using a power line device in the office and at the center point to connect the 2 together? Would there be a big drop in latency and/or speed?

These days Tech language was replaced by Verbiage and the problem becomes more of Understanding Tech Question rather than knowing the answer. :rolleyes:

If the above quote means a second Wireless Router connecting to the Nighthawk Wireless, while the second Router works as a Wireless Repeater it is a Very Bad idea.:(

If you do not need Wireless in the office put there a simple Router, then lay an Etherent cable to a center spot in the house and use there the "Hawk" as am Access Point with a switch.

Using Wireless Routers (or Modem/Wireless Router) as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

:cool:

scooter2479

Feb 2, 2005
Via a switch. I said the in my 1st post that the 2nd router being used as a repeater would have a switch and the devices would connect to the switch via ethernet.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Via a switch. I said the in my 1st post that the 2nd router being used as a repeater would have a switch and the devices would connect to the switch via ethernet.

... Are you talking about setting up wireless bridge or is the router on the main floor?

scooter2479

Feb 2, 2005
Yes pretty much but looking for the best method to do it with the Router I have. I've read that using a wireless bridge isn't always the best method.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Any reason you cannot drill into baseboard through to the basement (at an angle) and run a wire in the basement?

scooter2479

Feb 2, 2005
No coax to both points and if they are on the same phase, is using a power line device the better way or should I just use something like Google Wi-Fi and do a nest type system?

I'm looking for the best way to set everything up so I can extend the Wi-Fi in the house and be able to use a switch to connect devices to Ethernet at my entertainment center.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No coax to both points and if they are on the same phase, is using a power line device the better way or should I just use something like Google Wi-Fi and do a nest type system?

I'm looking for the best way to set everything up so I can extend the Wi-Fi in the house and be able to use a switch to connect devices to Ethernet at my entertainment center.

Google wifi does not act as a wireless bridge, which is stupid. It insists to be the firewall/router as well. So go with netgear or linksys.

Or you can get a router that supports tomato or dd-wrt or asuswrt and use the bridge/repeater mode.

scooter2479

Feb 2, 2005
Ok I have the Nighthawk which is Netgear. What the best dual band Netgear that will support dd-wrt/tomato/asuswrt?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
... and MediaTek is kind of crap, so try to avoid. DD-WRT does support some MediaTek-based routers, which might be an option if you do end up with a MediaTek router. (Like my Buffalo that was $20.)

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I answered this in another post earlier, but I'll take a shot.

For me the big issue is stream dropouts, so pauses in video and general connection drops. That's why I stayed away from the older 802.11n bridging. At one point I had like 6 access points all n in the house to get coverage, but the bridging was flaky. So i started to run ethernet through the attic and garage to the main service points like my media center and routers. I link the various locations with switches. I have like 4 or 5.

My favorite switch is the netgear https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-GS10...99870&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+managed+gigabit

It's managed and not much more than the unmanaged one. you can get it on ebay for like $40 i think. great warranty. don't buy smaller than 8 ports...or larger than 16. I have 8 ports that I string together.

Also note that if you have a newer house, your builder might have put your phone wires in with cat 5, a lot do that around here for new construction.

Solution examples:

1) if you just want coverage for email and web etc, get a cheapish 802.11AC bridge. they work pretty good but aren't super cheap.
2) If you have to have streaming quality and don't need bandwidth 720P maybe 1080P, then try powerline. It's works well but bandwidth is limited.
3) if you need good bandwidth and connection, run a line and switch it.

that's my 2 cents.

Reactions: VirtualLarry