Need some help with my truck

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Hopefully a quick answer. I just picked up a 1998 ford f150 6 cyl manual tranny. Drove it home just fine. Was going to grab some takeout for dinner, hop in...start...turn on lights: no instrument cluster backlights. The individual warning lights work, just nothing else lights up.

Which fuse should I be looking for??

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
If they're not mapped, just pick one at a time and see which one is burnt.

Not mapped (damn ford) and I pulled almost all of them and they're all still good (couple on the top and bottom I couldn't reach)

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: malbojah
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
If they're not mapped, just pick one at a time and see which one is burnt.

Not mapped (damn ford) and I pulled almost all of them and they're all still good (couple on the top and bottom I couldn't reach)

Well, if you manage to eliminate the ones you can reach, often times there is another fuse box in the engine compartment. It is unlikely that it would control instrument lighting, however.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
You can buy a little tool that will test fuses for you without having to pull them out - maybe you can test the unreachable ones that way. Or, get a shop manual for your car at an auto parts place that will have a fuse map on it. If you have an owner's manual for your truck, the diagrams should be in there, though. I've never owned a car that didn't have the fuse map in the owner's manual.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
The one marked inst - or tail should be it. Try messing with your rheostat for the brightness of the dash lights- I think you just turn the headlight knob on a ford of that year.
Edit:
Sorry, in 98 they might have a separate light dimmer wheel

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Thanks for all the suggestions. It works now, don't know what I did. Didn't replace any fuses...damn gremlins...stay in the Saturn that just died and leave my new toy :D alone