Need some help here on deciding on an eVGA or XFX 7600gt

AhrenBa

Aug 17, 2006
Hello,

I have been looking at getting a new graphics card and was originally looking at the eVGA 7600GT CO and KO. By the way, what is the difference between CO and KO, and which is better?

Then I found out that the eVGA was having some overheating issues so I began looking at some VGA coolers for about $25.

From there I was thinking if I went to another brand such as XFX or PNY, that the overheating may not happen.

Would you guys suggest getting an eVGA with a 3rd party heatsink (or have you guys had great success with the stock cooler?) or should I get an XFX or PNY 7600gt?

I am assuming that the XFX and PNY don't have as bad of overheating problems from the customer reviews. Which brand is best, eVGA, XFX, or PNY?

What is you guys advice to this dilemma? What would you do? Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys.

EDIT:

Here are the cards I am looking at:

eVGA

7600gt CO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130283
7600gt KO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130017

XFX
7600gt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150140
7600gt XXX
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1931185&CatId=0

PNY
7600gt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133150

Which of these do you think are best? Best brand? Best cooling? How do you guys feel about Leadtek? I have gotten some recommendations on that brand.

Thanks guys :)

Feel free to make other brand suggestions also.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The tag for URLs in FuseTalk (which this forum uses) is L, or just use the editing button "http" to add a URL with text to replace it, because it's kind of counterintuitive how it works.

Until now, I thought the CO was slightly lower-clocked than the KO, but now the specs show them clocked the same. eVGA's own spec listings on their site are confusing, as the main page specs show the same clocks for memory and GPU, but then the KO shows it has a higher maximum refresh rate for no apparent reason. Download the spec sheets though, they have exactly the same refresh rates listed there. But then, despite exactly the same memory clock speeds, the KO somehow has 24.96GBps bandwidth, compared to 24GBps for the CO.

Looking at the cards though, it seems that the actual difference between the two is just the heatsink. The KO has a slightly larger heatsink than the CO, which could theoretically improve heat dissipation enough to let you overclock slightly more than the factory overclock gives you. The heatsink on the KO is also in contact with the memory chips.

I'm using a KO right now, I haven't had any problems with heat but I'm also not doing a lot of 3D stuff. If you do decide to go with the eVGA, I'd suggest buying it and using it with the stock heatsink first, and only if you actually have problems due to heat should you purchase a 3rd party heatsink. (I get this from the philosophy of Dan at dansdata.com in regard to "I need to buy a new video card to play X game" questions, where the response is to try it on your current card and upgrade if you find it doesn't play well enough.)

AhrenBa

Aug 17, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I have been reading a ton of posts around the net saying that eVGA 7600gt CO and KO have a ton of freezing problems. What is this about? Is there a fix?

Also, is this just eVGA or would it be any better if I bought a XFX, PNY, Leadtek, or BFG? If so, which one? Thanks

fliguy84

Jan 31, 2005
I would choose Evga over other companies for their lifetime warranty, third-party cooler support and step-up program in case you need to upgrade within 90 days.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Be wary about the evga 7600GT KOs HSF. I got mines and it didn't do any good on keeping it cool enought, I slap an zalman VF 900 to really cool it down.

AhrenBa

Aug 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Powermoloch
Be wary about the evga 7600GT KOs HSF. I got mines and it didn't do any good on keeping it cool enought, I slap an zalman VF 900 to really cool it down.

Ok, do you think the CO would be better even though it has smaller heatsink?

What do you guys think I should get, the CO or KO? Thanks.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well if you end up having to buy a new heatsink, the CO would be better just because it's a couple bucks cheaper. But if you were able to cool the card with the stock KO heatsink, you end up better off. Good case cooling could be sufficient, especially if you have a case with a blowhole in the side that can hit the card.

AhrenBa

Aug 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Lord Evermore
Well if you end up having to buy a new heatsink, the CO would be better just because it's a couple bucks cheaper. But if you were able to cool the card with the stock KO heatsink, you end up better off. Good case cooling could be sufficient, especially if you have a case with a blowhole in the side that can hit the card.

Do you know if eVGA fixed some problems (or at least updated the card) when they released the KO? The CO is a model 553, while KO is 554. I am assuming the KO is the latest version.

Does anyone know the time difference between the two cards release date? Also, are there any fixes or upgrades with the KO besides the fan? Thanks

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Originally posted by: AhrenBa

Do you know if eVGA fixed some problems (or at least updated the card) when they released the KO? The CO is a model 553, while KO is 554. I am assuming the KO is the latest version.

Does anyone know the time difference between the two cards release date? Also, are there any fixes or upgrades with the KO besides the fan? Thanks

afaik the only difference between the CO and KO is the fan. the CO was the initial 7600gt launch card EVGA used. i would say about 3 months after the CO was released they started selling the KO, i remember it was right after i bought my 7600gt CO that they released the KO :( it made me sad till i heard they were overheating :)

Saku

Mar 22, 2001
I have the evga 7600gt ko, it idles at 53. When overclocking with coolbits, I get idle at 56.