Need some help from fellow AnandTechers!

CromNogger

Jan 26, 2001
Have you ever visited CrushLink.com? I hadn't either. But I received an email last night saying "Someone has a crush on you". I immediately assumed it to be junk-mail and nearly deleted it at sight, but decided to see if it was legit, however small the chance may be.

It explained itself in the email, saying that someone has to sign up with CrushLink, and guess their crushes (name and email), and if they don't correctly guess their crushes, the emails they wrote would receive a letter like the one I did.

Anyhow, the person who selected mine has to have known my email address. And I can only think of one person who knows about it and emails me. Also, the thing gives hints. It said the first name is 7 letters and the last name is 6 letters. That is exactly right for the person I had in mind! :Q

But it won't tell me if I got it or not, it tells me to keep guessing!! It's extremely frustrating, I can not think of any other person in the world that would have gone here and knows my email address! Can ANYONE help me out?! HACK it or something!! Do something!! I felt like I was going to go insane last night! I have to know if I'm right or not.

But there are some things that tell me it CAN'T be her, and others that say that it HAS to be. For example, she has a BF (not me)! But then again I heard from some (several) of my friends that she likes/has a crush on me or something. But she knows I like her, as does her BF, and she's made the decision to preserve her relationship with her BF (thus shutting me out pretty much).

Anyway, normally even under these circumstances I would have still thought it could be her, because she's a very nice and kind of flirty person, just really friendly - I'm sure you understand. But I don't think it's her since she was having trouble with her BF (kiinda because of me) and the same thing is happening with her BFs best friend, so she can't be in the best of moods right now. This leads me to think it's NOT her.

But I honestly can't think of a single other person in the world that it could be, that has a 7 letter first name and a 6 letter last name!

The only thing I can think of, is that I guessed her name right, but I didn't type in the correct email address? She could have several and used one I don't know, to make it impossible for me to guess. I don't know! But it's driving me nuts!

Sorry for the extra-long post but I had to get this out! Hopefully someone can say SOMETHIN about this! Thanks..

Tonec

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I received something from that site a few weeks ago. Its just cleverly disguised spam.

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
Anyway, back to helping out the trippy one. Why don't you get another alias email address of your own and reply/send one to her. See if she says anything about it. What are her reactions.
That's probably the long way to go about it. Here's your best advice. You should just mention to her that you got this email and didn't who it was. Ask her if she passed your email address on to somebody else. How easy is that?;)

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I received something like that once. The cynical side of me sees it as a scam to harvest email addresses.

Lets say someone does have a crush on you. The system tell you to guess by putting in their email. Those people get emailed because you think of them enough to suspect that it's them and it tells them that you have a crush on them but don't give your name out and want them to guess instead. They get lots of real email addresses while no one may really have a crush on anyone in the mailing cycle.

CromNogger

Jan 26, 2001
Yup thanks for the replies guys...

Well, I emailed her about it and she replied with "what the fvck are you talkign about?" pretty much, so it's not her. I'm completely stumped. I guess it's just really clever spam. Oh well. If someone likes me and I don't know, it's up to them to make it more obvious in better ways than this. :p

CromNogger

Jan 26, 2001
She got an email because I put her on my "crushlist" and, since I had already mentioned it, she knew it was me, so she put my email address in and got it right .. so I got an email saying I have a "Crushlink" with her. lol :)

Still doesn't solve the original thing though. Who could it have been.... arghhhh