Need some help choosing some floor or bookshelf speakers...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Well, my old, cheap Sony 3-way's are starting to show their age. I am looking for a nice pair of floor or bookshelf speakers to replace them. They will primarily be used with my non-DD Onkyo receiver, which is hooked up to my my AV system. Their main use will be for music, mostly Trance and the like, and will see a little gaming and the occasional DVD. The Sony's I have are cheapy's, but they lasted me for over 10 years and sounded pretty nice.

I'm looking to stay $200 or under for a pair. I don't want ultra cheap, but a nice set that will last me for at least another 5 years or so. I've found a few sets that seem to fit my needs, but I could use a hand deciding.

JBL S-38II 8-Inch 3-Way Horizontal Bookshelf Speakers (Pair - Black) - $199 shipped

JBL S-26II 6" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair - Black) - $199.87 shipped

JBL N-26II 6" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair - Black) - $151.78

KLH 3-Way Floor Speakers with 12" Molded Fiber Cone Woofer (pair) - $131.98 shipped

Sony 8" 3-Way Extended-Response Bookshelf Speakers (pair) - $93.98 shipped

Now, right now, I am leaning toward the KLH models as they seem to have some nice specs like a large woofer, and can handle a good deal of power. The Sony's intrigued me because of their extended response, but I'm not sure how important this is...and they seem too cheap. All of the JBL's looks nice, but they seem pricey compared to the others on price alone. Are they worth it?

Any advice you guys could give would be appreciated. Like I said before, I'm leaning toward the KLH's.

:)

Edit:

Just saw these JBL's with a 8" woofer. They are a tad over my price range, but if they are worth it I could swing the difference.

JBL N-28II 8" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair - Black) - $227.68 shipped

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Well with speakers it just comes down to personal preference. Do you like brighter highs with clear midrange? Do you like a more laid back presentation with deeper bass? The best thing to do with speakers is to go out and listen to as many as you can within your price range and then choose the one that sounds the best to you. I say this because you are the one that will be listening to these for a few years so get what sounds best to you.

If you are looking @ best buy check out the Athena line. There bookshelfs (look at the Athena AS-B1) go low...which is good if you dont have a subwoofer and there highs are nicely placed...Also they are on sale this week for 170. Not bad speakers...I believe is is the same company that makes the Energy Speakers (wich are not bad). Check em out.

Also...you could probably get very awesome speakers off internet companies for half the price. I have my brand new Ascend Acoustics ($330ish) coming via UPS today. I cant wait to calibrate those bad boys with my SVS...plus I have a 30 day audition period in which I can send them back for a full refund...minus shipping of course, :).

Ozzie

Pokey007

May 1, 2001
for just a littlebit more money you could buy the Polk RTI 28's. I believe you can buy them from an authorized dealer for around $280 and an unauthorized one for around $200. Worth every extra penny, I've listened to the KLH's...and the Polks blow them out of the water. Check our www.audioreview.com for more help.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Stop looking at crappy speakers, go buy some NHT's or something. Super 1's are good. :)

I think the SB-1 would be out of his range...$300.00 for a pair. Plus...I wouldn't pay that much for those, there is so much else out there better for around the same price just my personal opinion

Insane3d...go check out these forums speaker sections and do some search on the speakers that you are intrested in...to get a feel

www.hometheaterforums.com
www.avsforum.com

Ozzie

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Thanks guys, but I can't really spend too much right now. I know there are much better speakers out there, but I really would max @ $250 right now. I wasn't planning on getting anything right now, but my Sony's woofers have started to detiorate..specifically the foam like material that connects the woofer cone to the metal body. If I can;t find anything decent for around $250, I'll just get a set of the Logitech Z-680's and do a budget HT setup.

I know I'm not asking about the best speakers, but I would still like to get the best I can for my money.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Again, I would suggest you take a look into the Athena Speaker line. A few people have been posting some positive reviews about them on HTF and avsforums (do a search). Plus as I mentioned earlier these bookshelfs are on sale this week, for $170.00; the AS-B1. Speakers come in all types of flavors...just beacuse one is $1000.00 or $200.00 shouldn't matter, it is all on what the listener likes, :).

Ozzie

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Thanks. I'll check out that Athena line. :)

Can you guys suggest any online retailers I should check out that are reputable and have decent shipping?

Edit: Those Athena speakers just don't do it for me...

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Insane3d...I think Athena is sold @ BB. So I would go there and check out a listen through them. I would only purchase speakers off the net from an Authorized Dealer or an Internet Company that makes there own speakers (ie...Ascend, Onix, Aperion, Axiom) etc.

Ozzie

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Insane go look around at Onecall. I'm sure you'll find something you like there.

Well...the only ones I saw that interested me and are in my price range, are these.. I don't know too much about the company though.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: Mutilator
Insane go look around at Onecall. I'm sure you'll find something you like there.

Well...the only ones I saw that interested me and are in my price range, are these.. I don't know too much about the company though.
Which company? Onecall or Wharfedale?
Usually what I do is find a product... like those Wharfedales and then do a google search and focus on the review results from places like avsforum, audioreview, hometheaterspot, etc.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I haven't used them myself, but I've heard Fluance speakers are of very good quality considering the bargain-basement prices. Check out the sites Mutilator mentioned, they generally get good reviews.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
I haven't used them myself, but I've heard Fluance speakers are of very good quality considering the bargain-basement prices. Check out the sites Mutilator mentioned, they generally get good reviews.

Woah! These AV-5's really caught my eye! I couldn't find too much on Fluance, but what I did was very positive. Anyone have experience with them?

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Insane...did you do a search on www.hometheaterforums.com. I think some people there have the fluance 5.1 setup. From what I have read on them, they are great bang for you buck speakers. The sound is good for the price point that you pay you may wanna check them out.

Ozzie

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
From those selections, JBLs will do quite nicely. Plus they're purty. Do you have stands?

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
Insane...did you do a search on www.hometheaterforums.com. I think some people there have the fluance 5.1 setup. From what I have read on them, they are great bang for you buck speakers. The sound is good for the price point that you pay you may wanna check them out.

Ozzie

Yes, a bit. Most of the feedback was on the 5.1 set, was on the the 5.1 set, and it was positive. I'm really leaning toward those AV-5's right now...just wish I could find more info on Fluance.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
From those selections, JBLs will do quite nicely. Plus they're purty. Do you have stands?

No, no stands, but I could get some. Which JBL's caught your eye?

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Please stay away from the appliance store crap. I'd look for some PSB, Paradigm, Energy or even the entry level B&W's. The first three listed are Canadian companies and you get a lot for your money with the exchange rate. I have a pair of PSB Alpha's hooked up to an old Sony receiver in my office and they are great! They are a bookshelf speaker and I believe that they are about $250 a pair now ($200) when I bought them. Just look at the these lines in your price range. You'll be much happier with something like this instead of Infinity, JBL, Polk, etc.. From Best Buy or some place.

Look for a higher efficiency rating. I like NHT's, but they kind of sound cold and sterile to me. You need something warmer sounding than a receiver IMO. Also, the NHT's are horribly inefficient in my experience. Look for something with a 88 db rating or higher. Preferrably in the 89+ db efficiency range. I think the NHT Superzero's or Superone's were rated about 86 db and you'd be hard pressed to drive them with a receiver. Just 1 db efficiency makes a huge difference.

Also.. Make sure and listen to the speakers too before you buy them. Most high end shops that carry the better brands will either have a great return policy (like your Tweeter's) or loan them out (high end specialty shops) to you for a night or weekend to evaluate them before buying. Just pull out the phone book and find a local PSB, Paradigm or Energy dealer. That's what I would do.

Sal