Need some Final Fantasy 7 help....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
you are supposed to learn beta after your characters are super strong. like on the 2nd or 3rd disc.

otherwise beta kills your character, and the enemy skills does not learn jack if your character is killed (actually remains dead after the battle).

beta is weak... the goblin punch is free (no magic required)... besides, i use the knights... you can use it on some weak thing and wait forever for the animation to finish... :p

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
what is goblin punch. I love knights. I remember doing w-summon and knights twice then mime it a million times to kill emerald.

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
That was wayyyyyy cool. The only Goblin's I remember, were the ones near the end that said..."Gimme 'lixer".. and were great for points, along with those bouncing orange balls. God, now I want to play again....and I have done the whole thing twice already....what a great game. Man....marketson has a long way to go...:)

Princess;)

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
FF7 was too easy, especially Sephiroth and 13 knights is much too strong. I dont remember exactly but i think i used 13 knights 8 times in a row(with x-magic, mimic etc.) and sephiroth just died without getting to attack. And the ending was really poor too.

Also FF8 doesn't seem that good either. I don't like the whole drawing magic thing, and regular attacks are so crappy that you might as well use magic or summon.

FF9 is supposed to go back to old school, should be great.

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
Well, I liked both games....but I have to agree, that drawing magic was a very poor idea....and the way your characters built their levels...was hard to decipher at times in FF8. But, I think they were both fun.

Princess;)

So, Javelin, what RPG would you recommend for something new.:)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
hey, marketsons1985, what are you playing ffvii on, playstation or PC?

you can look stuff up at gamefaqs.com or something...

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
New RPGs? Well FF9 just came out today in Japan, over 1.3 million pre-ordered copies too. FF7 and 8 were fun but I prefer the earlier versions... I, IV, V and VI(most people in the US have probably never seen II or III).

Also the Romancing Saga series(also by Square) was really good, although not in english. Oh yeah... new RPGs? Baldur's Gate II looks pretty good... I played BG 1 for a bit and found it to be fairly decent. And Chrono Cross, which is the sequel to Chrono trigger should be good as well. Not that I have anytime to play video games these days... but thats another story.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is there a patch yet that will let you play through the game on a nV based card? Not the original patch, I would always get a Fatal Exception when Weapon was coming out of the mountain(forget when in the game it was, before you are captured and imprisoned) and was constantly forced to DL their sh1tty ass party as a replacement. It would be nice to be able to play through the entire PC port myself, all my PSXs are dead.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
ff8 was sweet as hell
first rpg i played through in a long time
last one was phantasy star :)
who remembers that and on which system? :)

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
I remember phantsasy star on genesis, I think it was 3...great game. some of my others were chrono trigger, Final fantasy on the nes, luna(or luner) on the sega cd was fun also.

ccc

Apr 29, 2000
wow, I remember playing this game...
I killed the swamp monster early in
the game, and get beta (damn useful
spell).

I love getting gold chocobo also,
if you breed 2 gold chocobo, you get
a gold chocobo :p kinda cool.

I killed all the weapons, how can you die
in this game if you have phoenix materia
and materia that cast last spell before you
die ? when you equiped both materia,
whenever you got killed, you will cast phoenix
which will resurrect and heal you into full
health.
Oh and the knight of rounds table is cool also :p

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
CCC, you have to take into accouht the levels of the Phoenix and Final Attack materia. At best, after a TON of AP (and characters probably level 65 or higher), you'll have a Master rating (5 dots) in aech one. That means that you the materia will work a maximum of 5 times per battle, but that too is limited by the current mana your character has. When fighting Ruby Weapon, the tentacles drain mana, and FAST. It's tough to keep the mana up while going through and beating the bag out of weapon. ;)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Ruby was the easiest weapon in the game. You just start out by casting W-summon> Hades and Knights of the Round. Make sure Hades is on the tentacles and knights on the body. That way his legs don't do anything through the whole battle. Then you just attack his body.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
damn, wished i knew about that trick... ruby was difficult for me to beat. Emerald was just cruel... man... I had to phoenix so BAD... and I kept running out of phoenix downs (from 99).

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
It took me 3 times to get Ruby...thank god for Phoenix and any other way to get full life. Emerald was wayyyyy easy.:)

BTW...in FF8, I accidentally started a battle with Jumbo Cactaur....and I was not prepared at all....but I still beat him somehow...he was tough. And didn't you just hate those MF-ing Marlboro's that you needed the Curse Spikes from...I had to level up a lot just to even have a chance. Those just fscking killed me...they cast just about eveything that would make you die slowly....I'd just reset the game half the time from a save....LOL.

Princess;)

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Heh, I haven't played M:TG in months, and it's been even longer for FF7. That was just from memory. However, I do have Diablo II on the brain, which explains the Freudian Slip. (mp=mana). I've played about 24 hours in the past 3 days, and now I'm going to bed. :D