Need some feedback on a router and general network config.

NightFalcon

May 22, 2004
I currently have a D-Link DI-604 router which is ok, but I'd like to get something a little more advanced. I was looking at the Linksys RV0 line and those look very interesting. Made for home use, but on the high-end side. So what I wanted to ask is does anyone here have experience with those, and do you know what differences there are between RV042 and RV082?

I have 8 computers at home along with 2 network printers and a few other things connected to the central switch atm, so I will need something more then 4 ports... However, for a long time now I was thinking about switching to gigabit network since all my computers support gigabit LAN. So with that in mind, if the only differences between 42 and 82 are the number of ports and support for 50 vs. 30 VPN connections, what I thought about doing is getting RV042 and a 16-port gigabit switch. I'll connect the router to my cable modem and to the switch, and the switch will be the only thing connected to the router. Everything on my network will connect to the switch allowing thedevices to talk to each other at gigabit speeds.

What do you think of such setup? Also, are there any recommendations on good gigabit switches that support jumbo frames?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I think that you should define to yourself what you would to do under the Category "More Advance". Just spending more money is not necessarily going to benefit you.

The RV042 cost more because it is Dual WAN Router. I.e. you need to have two independent Internet accounts to be able to connect with two modems and have Backup Internet with Load Balance. This something that is useful for Office not so much for Home. In addition it is a VPN End Point.

Do you need these capacities?

As for Giga you might want to read this: Peer to Peer Giga Home Networks.

:sun:

NightFalcon

May 22, 2004
Yes I know what it has, yes I need it. What I asked for was some reviews if you have experience with that router. As for that site, there's absolutely nothing new to me on it so I'm not exactly sure why you wanted to post it since I asked for suggestions on switches.

NightFalcon

May 22, 2004
Since you meantioned money I might as well ask - what does D-Link DFL-300 router have over the Linksys one that causes a price increase of $150? I really don't need a switch built-in to the router and I'd much rather pay for quality.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The D-Link is more like a Firewall appliance.

It is Not Dual WAN like the Linksys.

:sun:

NightFalcon

May 22, 2004
Not to sound like an ass or anything, but how about posting something useful or not posting anything at all... I can read the product specs myself, not to mention that being a firewall doesn't say a thing about dual-wan capabilities so I've got no idea why you're paring the two together. As for the dual-wan itself, I don't give a damn about it, would use that port as DMZ anyway.

If you have experience with either of the two, please share it. Otherwise you're not really helping me.