Question Need some clarifications on WiFi mesh products

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Hello, I plan to pick one among the following three products:

There are three concerns:

I.
All have access point mode and claim to work with any router.
The M9 Plus has tri-band of 5Hz. In the specs, it says that the WiFi Speeds are:

5GHz: 867 Mbps
5GHz: 867 Mbps
2.4GHz: 400 Mbps

In the specs of the RE815XE, the WiFi Speeds are:

5GHz: 2402 Mbps
6GHz: 2402 Mbps
2.4GHz: 574 Mbps

In the specs of the Deco X50, the WiFi Speeds are:
5GHz: 2402 Mbps
2.4GHz: 574 Mbps

1. Does that mean even the RE815XE does not have tri-ban at 5GHz, it is still faster than the M9 Plus?
2. If so, in turns of speed at 6GHz, does that mean RE815XE performs the best followed by the Deco X50 and then the tri-band M9 Plus?

II.
3. Although the RE815XE supports OneMesh, the product page states that "OneMesh enables RE815XE to network with any router that supports OneMesh to form a seamless roaming network system." My router does not support OneMesh. So, having a "Mesh" logo does not give me any advantage of mesh system?

My ADSL modem does not support OneMesh nor 6GHz:

III.
Internet plan has download speed is up to 50 Mbps while the upload speed is up to 10 Mbps.

4. Does that mean any of the above is overkilled due to the slow speeds in my current internet plan? Is it better to buy just a low-end model (e.g. RE650 AC2600 WiFi Range Extender) now and upgrade it when my ISP can provide the latest router with faster internet plan. Alternatively, is it better to get one of the three listed or get one that supports WiFi 6E for future proof?

Currently, I have 8 devices that need WiFi. I plan to buy a 10G switch for the NAS and connect the switch to one of the Tp-Link mesh products mentioned above. The direct distance between the router and the computer room is: 25 feet. Which product is better for my case?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, single client link rate is what you're seeing for any of those devices.

In reality though a single 2*2 client hits about 70% of the LR.

The trade off for adding 6ghz is usually losing the additional 5ghz backhaul.

If you don't have 6ghz clients to use the clearer spectrum then it's kind of pointless unless it can use it for backhaul to the main device.

The increased WiFi is a benefit for LAN transfers unless you get a higher WAN plan.

Using a 5ghz ax AP and an ax411 WiFi card I can get 1.5gbps. The speeds would be the same on 6ghz as there's still the 160mhz bandwidth limit until WiFi 7 gets released which doubles it to 320mhz and a potential 3gbps speed.

Reactions: tablespoon

tablespoon

Jun 21, 2022
Thanks. From the specs, how do I tell which is single client link rate? How can I tell if those 6ghz products can use it as backhaul for the main device? Tried to contact tp-link support but couldn't get connected to a real person.

Give my current situation, which of the list products do you recommend?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
The highest LR for ax is 2400. To get 1-1.2gbps out of it you need an ax210/211 card I the device or capable phone.

Not many devices will use 6ghz as a backhaul though there are some quad band devices out that will at least give you good backhaul rates plus 6ghz to use with clients.

The cheapest AP supporting 6ghz is Zyxel nwa220ax-e they run about $180 on Amazon. There's a quirk though for that price that you only get to use 5or6 not both at the same time like the higher $350 AP options.

I get my speed with the nwa210ax which is just 2.4/5 bands.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The thing about the tri bands are that you have one node plugged directly into your modem or router, if the AP isn't also a router. From there, the wifi system typically uses 1 5ghz channel for a backplane to talk to the other APs wirelessly. That leaves you with another 5ghz (high speed, shorter range) and a 2.4ghz channel for longer range.

I have the Linksys Velop system and it's pretty good. Occasionally, I will have to reboot the entire system because power outages will get things out of sync. It's good practice to do this at least once a month, though I only do probably 3-4 times a year.

Reactions: tablespoon