Need some car suggestions.

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
I'm going to be looking for a new DD sometime this spring or summer. But I have some requirements that don't seem to fit too well. Was wondering if ATOT could help.

There are some requirements that I really want.

1) This is most important, it has to be a Manual. I'm 20 and I don't know fully how to drive stick. Kinda sad. I bought a sports car with an Auto. :( But its never too late to learn!

The next few requirements aren't in any specific order.

2) Has to be big and comfy. Not a civic, or Neon, or even accord. Doesn't have to be a land barge though. Preferably 4-dr, but 2-dr is fine too.

3) RWD. I can't stand FWD. I don't mind AWD.

4)Has to have +260HP and even more torque. V8 *highly* preferred but sacrifices can be made.

5)Has to be less then $14k. This is a DD after all...

Only car that I know that can meet most of these criteria's is the BMW 540i. But that's in the 18-24k range otherwise I'd already have one. :)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Older 5 series with a stick?
new GTO is probably out of your price range.

I can't think of many other big RWD sedan cars with MTs.

You could just buy a mitsu evolution or an imprezza and call it a day, but it sounds like you want big V8 type things.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
You want a 4 door sports car for $14k? :laugh:

Get a civic, when you are learning stick you don't want everyone to see/hear you screw up. Besides as a DD, do you really want the huge gas bills? Judging from your price range, I'm going to say no. I have a civic and has treated me well; the std does have some pep although i have driven suburbans, explorers and whatnot. My civic was $13k...I could have got more, but there's not much more to want at this point.

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus

You could just buy a mitsu evolution or an imprezza and call it a day, but it sounds like you want big V8 type things.

Yeah it's a dying tradition damnit.
Only 13% of BMW's 5 serieis sales do the buyers opt for the manual option. Mercedes doesn't offer it. :(

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Stunt
You want a 4 door sports car for $14k? :laugh:

Get a civic, when you are learning stick you don't want everyone to see/hear you screw up. Besides as a DD, do you really want the huge gas bills? Judging from your price range, I'm going to say no. I have a civic and has treated me well; the std does have some pep although i have driven suburbans, explorers and whatnot. My civic was $13k...I could have got more, but there's not much more to want at this point.

My commute is 9 miles...I don't need a sports car per se.

I just need a big safe comfy car that has enough power to get out of its own way. I could care less if people see me screw up personally. A civic offers me none of these (yes I have driven one and was a paseenger in one *while the guy was "racing"*)

I guess I won't be really getting anything this upcoming year then. I'll jsut keep saving up and buy later, or maybe I'll have have to finance. :(

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Theguynextdoor
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus

Yeah it's a dying tradition damnit.
Only 13% of BMW's 5 serieis sales do the buyers opt for the manual option. Mercedes doesn't offer it. :(

I have a friend who bought an 1985 5 series with a stick. Great looking car, and probably nice as hell to drive.

I opted for the Great American RWD Lux-O-Barge instead. But in your price range I'd try to hunt down a manual 5 series.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You are *really* limited.

You'd be looking at:

- Lincoln LS V6
- Audi A6 2.7T
- BMW 5 Series
- Salvaged Caddy CTS-V :p

You won't find any flagship models(biggest cars) in manual transmissions. They just don't do it. Also they typically do not offer manual transmissions on the V8 models. As you are all to aware of.

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
I think people would be a lot better drivers if more cars were manual. They would be more "connected" to the road then the convo on their cellphone.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I think people would be a lot better drivers if more cars were manual. They would be more "connected" to the road then the convo on their cellphone.

Nah. Females would still talk on their bluetooh headset, drink their coffee, and put on their makeup while driving a manual.

Do you really need a DD with lot of HP and torque? 4 or 6 cyl could be a nice change of pace from your torque happy vette. Are you going to keep your vette as a weekend driver or get rid of it? If you're not going to have your vette then I guess I could see the need for the hp/torque.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
maybe a used mustang GT/camaro/firebird. personally i'd just get a maxima. that's my answer to everything.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Naustica

Nah. Females would still talk on their bluetooh headset, drink their coffee, and put on their makeup while driving a manual.

I know a girl that puts on her makeup while driving manual (obviously not while shifting)... although I don't feel safe in the car while she's doing that! lol

OP, you wouldn't be ablet o do a camaro/mustang, would you?

Theguynextdoor

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Naustica

Do you really need a DD with lot of HP and torque? 4 or 6 cyl could be a nice change of pace from your torque happy vette. Are you going to keep your vette as a weekend driver or get rid of it? If you're not going to have your vette then I guess I could see the need for the hp/torque.

I actually prefer to keep my vette as my DD. Its comfy, fun to drive and moderately cheap to maintain.

But I need a DD to haul people around and when snow gets deeper then 3 inches.

To the people suggesting a Mustang/f-body. I had a V6 mustang for a DD last winter, didn't really like it. Reliable car cause it's been in the family for years but not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the rec Morpheus I'll look into those.

The V12 would be cool, but probably beyond my ability to fix should something go wrong.

Fenixgoon--My manager had an S4 turbo. I don't know if it which version it was though. But it was fun to drive, no seat-in-pants feeling because of the turbo lag but it is fast when you hit the higher RPM's.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
~2000ish audi S4 - bi turbo V6 AWD :D

Although a very fun car, I'd take an A6 with the 2.7T instead. The engine is crammed into the S4's engine bay and should be a good bit more reliable in the A6. That is, unless you're willing to mod the S4.