Need some advice for putting GalliumOS (Linux) on HP Chromebox..

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Overall, I've been happy with the HP Chromebox that I've been using, which is a Intel Celeron 2955u based, J5N%OUT#ABA. The HP Chromebox had 4gb of RAM, which I upgraded to 8, and I also upgraded the 16GB SSD to
a new 120 GB one. The only issue I really have with it is that I can't access certain websites (HBO Max, for one), and I can't load VLC Media Player on it.

My understanding is that this is because the system is "out of support", and I can't upgrade the browser past the current Chrome OS version 76.xx something..... And there does not seem to be any way to add the latest
version of other browsers, such as Firefox.

Because of this limitation, I'm interested in putting a basic version of Linux, such as GalliumOS, on the Chromebox. I believe that would let me put the latest versions of a couple of web browsers on there, as well as VLC Media Player. I've never tried this before. I'll admit to only having a bit of experience with Chrome, and my experience with Linux is limited to booting up from an Ubuntu CD, to try it out a few times.

Can anyone give me some hints for what I might need to do to prepare for this? I use the Chromebox at work at lot, and on my lunch break, so I would probably do this over our Thanksgiving break, just to make sure I have time to get it back up and working well before we come back.

Thanks for any tips!

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Anyone, Anyone? - suggestions for putting GalliumOS on Chromebox? Still hoping to get some tips from someone who has been there already before I try it over Thanksgiving break..... Thanks!