Need some advice for cousin...

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
To make a long story short: my cousin had let her registration lapse so long (against me telling her to pay the dam thing and stop putting it off) that her license was suspended (which she was oblivious to) - and of course she was pulled over the other night. The cop took her license and told her she would have to pay the fines, and bring proof of identity to the DMV in order to get it back. Problem is: she can't find her Social Security card, her birth certificate, nor does she possess a recent passport. I suggested maybe going to the hospital she was born at to get a copy of her BC, but when she was born she had a different name (she was adopted). So the main question is how can she get a passport without a recent license (she has one from 2005 but it would have to be a year or less expired)? Also, not sure how Social Security cards work but I would have to guess you would need a license to get a new one... any help would be appreciated.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
To make a long story short: my cousin had let her registration lapse so long (against me telling her to pay the dam thing and stop putting it off) that her license was suspended (which she was oblivious to) - and of course she was pulled over the other night. The cop took her license and told her she would have to pay the fines, and bring proof of identity to the DMV in order to get it back. Problem is: she can't find her Social Security card, her birth certificate, nor does she possess a recent passport. I suggested maybe going to the hospital she was born at to get a copy of her BC, but when she was born she had a different name (she was adopted). So the main question is how can she get a passport without a recent license (she has one from 2005 but it would have to be a year or less expired)? Also, not sure how Social Security cards work but I would have to guess you would need a license to get a new one... any help would be appreciated.

To get a passport you need a birth certificate, a 2.5" x 2.5" picture and money, not a drivers license.

She needs to get the birth certificate. She will also need legal documents saying her name was changed.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem

To get a passport you need a birth certificate, a 2.5" x 2.5" picture and money, not a drivers license.

She needs to get the birth certificate. She will also need legal documents saying her name was changed.

Thanks for the advice Wreck, I'll try and hunt down those legal docs tomorrow for the name change.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000

Thanks for the advice Wreck, I'll try and hunt down those legal docs tomorrow for the name change.

the birth certificate will be found at a clerk of courts office, not at a hospital, they fill them out there, they do not keep them. if shes from out of town (or state) you can usually call and have a copy mailed to you, theres almost certainly a small fee involved, make sure its a certified copy.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: xSauronx

the birth certificate will be found at a clerk of courts office, not at a hospital, they fill them out there, they do not keep them. if shes from out of town (or state) you can usually call and have a copy mailed to you, theres almost certainly a small fee involved, make sure its a certified copy.
She's in Virginia... and that's definitely good to know, thanks Sauron. I'll have her call the that office and see what we can find.