Need some advice about a girl.....(long story, but worth the read)

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000

I'm 21 and a junior in college (not junior college). I ran into an ex-girlfriend the other day, surprisingly she's a graduate student at my school. We were both pretty shocked to run into each other.

Here's a little lowdown about our past relationship: I transferred to her High school when I was 15 (sophomore), she was an 18 year old senior. We started hanging out, I was attracted to her, she was attracted to me, and we started dating. It was a disaster. More so for myself. I lived about 60 miles away from this high school and didn't have my own car (my dad drove my sister and I to school and back everyday). So the only time I really saw this girl was during school. It was a big time stressor and then our communication suddenly went downhill. During high school I always regretted our situation because of my situation.

That was about 5 years ago. So we ran into eachother the other day (just for a minute) and made plans to hang out later this week and catch up. She's recently engaged to a guy from a different school and she lives here by herself.

I think this may be an awkward situation. All of our memories together were in the romantic setting and ofcourse the fatal end. Though it was a long time ago. I'm going to approach this like any other friend I meet up with. Mostly I'm hoping for good conversation although our past relationship may come up. And if it does hopefully she will bring it up b/c I don't know how uncomfortable she would be with us openening up an old can o' worms, her being engaged and all.

I've never been in this situation before (with the whole engagement thing overhead). What do you guys think?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

<< All of our memories together were in the romantic setting and ofcourse the fatal end. >>

No it wasn't you said earlier about the only time you saw her was when you were at school.

Nothing personal either, but I'm sure that you're not so charming and alluring that she's gonna be temtped to leave her fiance and swoon over you. She wants to catch up with ould times with an old friend, see what you've been up to etc. Stop worrying.

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000
No it wasn't you said earlier about the only time you saw her was when you were at school.

Yes, rarely we would ever get a chance to do something after school or on weekends. Romantic = making out at school and stuff. Fatal end = well, you know.

Nothing personal either, but I'm sure that you're not so charming and alluring that she's gonna be temtped to leave her fiance and swoon over you.

Nononono... That's not my intention. I feel fortunate that we've run into eachother after a 5 year drought, but I'm not going to sacrifice the current relationship I am in for this girl.

It's not really something I'm worried about. I just think it's an interesting situation. One I've never encountered before.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Think of the meeting as a meeting with an old friend. Congratulate her on her engagement, and basically play catch-up on what you two have been doing these past few years.

Word of warning. It is very possible that your feelings for her will rekindle themselves. This is going to hurt, but realize right now that she's taken, engaged, and that those feelings cannot be pursued. If you really love her, let her go and be happy in her coming marriage. You can always be there for her as a friend though, which can be very rewarding in itself.