Need small telco Cabinet ideas

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Hi All,

Down in my basement, I have a cable modem, router/wifi, gig switch and a UPS.

In my last house, I simply cut out a piece of wood and screwed it to the wall, then mounted the devices to this.

I want to make something a little nicer. I'm looking for ideas on how to mount this stuff. I'm considering mounting some kind of cabinet with a door that I can keep closed.

Thoughts?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You can probably find something here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/
A lot depends on how much internal room you need, if it needs to be vented
or lockable. Once you find the right make and model, then Google Search
it to locate the best price and place to order it from.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
I just did this for my home and decided to go with the old plywood wall field. Plywood was free since I recycled it from construction debris. The "home media centers" or "structured media enclosure" you see at home dept are nice and organized and give you one place to run everything into. The problem is the cost.

E.g. you want a coaxial cable splitter. $3-10 depending on how many legs. A coax splitter that will fit into the media center and integrate? Saw one for $28. An 8 port gigabit switch for over $100, expensive just because it fits into the enclosure. The same with a network patch panel, telephone panel, audio etc... Im not that crazy or have such a need for neatness.

I screwed everything neatly into the plywood and ran all my cables to it while saving a ton of money. If you basement is inhabited and you really need to look neat, then go with the media center. If not and it looks like a typical basement, I think its money wasted.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I use a five shelve storage. You know plastic vented shelves with pvc pipe for support kind of shelving unit.

UPSes on the botoom, next up server, then ext hdds and top is switch, wap and cable modem.