Need Router Recommendation for VPN

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I installed it and got locked out. The username and password changed to something unknown. Didn't want to do a 30-30-30 reset or deal with it anymore. It's in the box to get shipped back tomorrow.

Try this username:admin
Password:admin

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Try this username:admin
Password:admin

It was the first thing that I tried besides my own password and username. On another note, is there any reason I should upgrade my WRT54GS2? It was made in 2007.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
It was the first thing that I tried besides my own password and username. On another note, is there any reason I should upgrade my WRT54GS2? It was made in 2007.

If you installed shibby tomato admin:admin should be the default user name and password. What do you mean upgrade your WRT54GS2? You mean upgrade the firmware?

CaffeinePizza

Mar 30, 2015
DD-WRT or any other router firmware can be used as an OpenVPN client or any VPN client for that matter.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
If you installed shibby tomato admin:admin should be the default user name and password. What do you mean upgrade your WRT54GS2? You mean upgrade the firmware?

I mean buying a new router. Otherwise, I'll just keep using it. Going to return the Asus.

TuSpockShakur

May 28, 2014
BeeBoop, this may help.

I got locked out once and this post from shibby in the comments section saved my butt.

http://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/t...DD-WRT-to-Tomato-cannot-login-user-pw-denied/

2lxwjv8.jpg

If you do return the Asus and you want to try the R7000, Staples has a deal through 4/4/15.

Last edited:

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Okay, I got the r7000. Going to try it out now. What firmware do you guys recommend for Netgear? Can you give me the exact download link?

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
I wanted the same one Tuspac is using because they have an easy way to put in the user name and password. Does tomato allow this?

Edit:
User name and password for a VPN.

Edit 2:
Okay, I see in his previous post where he linked to what he is using. There's about 15 files. I'll just pick the latest one.

Last edited:

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I wanted the same one Tuspac is using because they have an easy way to put in the user name and password. Does tomato allow this?

I don't know what you mean. If you flash it with tomato you just go into the gui and you can change it from the default password to whatever you want. The reason you had problems with your other router is because you tried to flash tomato on top of ddwrt without resetting first.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015

Edit:
User name and password for a VPN.

Edit 2:
Okay, I see in his previous post where he linked to what he is using. There's about 15 files. I'll just pick the latest one.

Yeah tomato is super easy to set up the vpn. You just have to have settings from your vpn provider handy.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
I'm getting an error. When I try to update the router, it says the correct file is .chk. I'm trying install tomato. I didn't know which one so I randomly picked one.

Edit:
That tomato link you gave me doesn't seem to be working, trx.

Last edited:

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
.trx files do not work. Just tried that link you gave me. I updated the router to the latest netgear firmware. Maybe that did something to it.

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks! That worked. Do I have to upload that second file you gave me? I'll have to finish this later tonight! ahhhh

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Why doesn't the wireless work? I have the password set to WPA2 and it didn't work. I set it to WPA, it still doesnt work. I'm stuck at "Obtaining IP address". I only installed the chk file.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Why doesn't the wireless work? I have the password set to WPA2 and it didn't work. I set it to WPA, it still doesnt work. I'm stuck at "Obtaining IP address". I only installed the chk file.

Did the flash work? Are you in the actual tomato gui?

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
It says Tomato Version 1.28 at the top. I have wired internet, just not wireless. The wireless doesn't work.