Question Need router advice

plannersteve

Nov 16, 2020
I am upgrading my home network. I'm on cable internet which is now offering up to 1000Mbps, we currently are signed up for 200Mbps.
Our cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard 6120, I'm upgrading that to a Arris Surfboard 8200 which is a Docsis 3.1 modem so that should no longer be the bottleneck.

On each end of the house i have a Linksys AC1200 Access Point. They provide outstanding coverage for both our house and lot. I also have a Linksys LGS 116P switch with POE which the access points are connected to. This switch has 1GB ports. Many users in my home are connected via Cat 5e wire. Wifi is mainly only used for cell phones and tablets. Quite happy with the speed on those devices, often get 130Mbps on 5GHZ on my phone.

I am wondering if my router is now the weak link in my setup. I have a Linksys EA6400 AC1600 dual band router. I have the wifi turned off, so I'm using it strictly as a router. The router has 4 1GB ethernet ports. Any reason to replace this? Seems most routers tout WiFi specs. Are they really all the same when used as a wired router as I am? Is there any reason to switch to a wired only router? Or some other WiFi router with better specs for use as a wired router?

Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Look up your router's WAN-to-LAN routing specs on SmallNetBuilder (look for "router charts", then "WAN-to-LAN"), and decide. I'm guessing that you're probably OK for gigabit service.

Reactions: plannersteve