Need reomendations - crossover - decent MPG under 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Sooo, got my new car, love it.

GF needs a new one. stick or auto, she can do both. We kind of like the escape hybrid, crv, tiguan.

Something we can use to go camping, take the dog, in the mud/snow/etc.

Is there something we are overlooking?

Question on the hybrid, how often are the batteries replaced, and how much do they generally run?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
what, you can't fit a tent, 2 sleeping bags, and a dog in the 135? :awe:
add the subaru forester to your list.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
what, you can't fit a tent, 2 sleeping bags, and a dog in the 135? :awe:
add the subaru forester to your list.

The husky sheds too much :D

the older foresters are too wagony, definitely no wagons. She has a 99.5 golf, but it's rusting out a bit, so we want to move up a little.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Too wagony? The forester is probably more capable for those needs than any of the options you mentioned.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
10K is a tough budget-

Saturn Vue (Bonus points for the V6, its the 3.5L Honda motor)
Ford Freestyle
Chrysler Pacifica
Escape/Mariner
Older CRV, Rav4 (They really hold their values well)

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'll never understand Americans' hatred of wagons. It is the superior vehicle type, and to say they are ugly and then mention a crv or escape..........

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I'll never understand Americans' hatred of wagons. It is the superior vehicle type, and to say they are ugly and then mention a crv or escape..........

I don't either. It really makes no sense. I love my wagon. I will say that I can see how the forester could be considered ugly. I think its just plain. Somehow people are buying monstrosities like the juke and various box cars though.

EDIT: Now to actually help the OP... I actually kinda like the tiguan. I don't know much about it though and at 10k, I'm assuming the typical VW maintenance costs.

Hmm, capable and you don't want the forester or the outback, probably the two most capable cars in that price range with ground clearance, low end torque of a boxer engine and an awesome AWD system (especially in manual since they're usually 50/50).

10k, Hmmm.... How about a nissan xterra?

Last edited:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
It does make sense coming from a girl ... but I too dislike the old style forrester's...jetta wagons, AUDI SPORT QUATTRO, etc, just doesn't look right. I put them in minivan territory.

That is MY opinion though, I know a lot of people love them.

How are the hybrid batteries in the Escape? Costly to replace? Do they have a replacement cycle? I have a friend who works at a Ford dealer, so I might swing a decent price.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I don't like the first-gen Foresters, but the second-gens aren't so bad. And they're not slow, which outweighs any cosmetic issue they may have. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.