Need Recommendations for PC Headphones/Headsets

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
My Turtle Beach Z6a I bought in March 2012 is about to crap out on me for the third time and I'm tired of RMAing them... First two Turtle Beach Z6a the joints above the cans snapped due to poor build and each time they sent me new headsets... Now this third one both left and right joints above the cans are cracking and one of the speakers in the left can is making fuzzy sounds. I take good care of these headsets and the joints are breaking due to normal taking off and putting on.

I'm looking for a Headphone or headset with a quality build.

Budget is $200...

I prefer true 5.1 or 7.1 cans...or if there are cans with better audio quality... I don't like any of the USB headsets...

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Update:

I finally pulled the trigger and got the ATH-AD700 and it arrived today -

These CANS SOUND WAY BETTER THAN ANY 5.1 or 7.1 Gaming headsets I have tried this year = puts my Turtle Beach Z6A to shame and the AD700 was released 7 Years ago?! Fits my head better and is more comfortable...

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Sennheiser PC 360. Stereo, but absolutely superb audio quality, comfort, and build quality.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
My Turtle Beach Z6a I bought in March 2012 is about to crap out on me for the third time and I'm tired of RMAing them... First two Turtle Beach Z6a the joints above the cans snapped due to poor build and each time they sent me new headsets... Now this third one both left and right joints above the cans are cracking and one of the speakers in the left can is making fuzzy sounds. I take good care of these headsets and the joints are breaking due to normal taking off and putting on.

I'm looking for a Headphone or headset with a quality build.

Budget is $200...

I prefer true 5.1 or 7.1 cans...or if there are cans with better audio quality... I don't like any of the USB headsets...

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6011/pipeline-review-razer-tiamat-71

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-vengeance-2000-wireless-headset-review/

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-1500-dolby-7-1-usb-gaming-headset.html/

The razer tiamat 7.1 has mic issues but read more reviews on it and decide if its that important to you?

The razer tiamat is "TRUE" built in 7.1 as well.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Sennheiser PC 360. Stereo, but absolutely superb audio quality, comfort, and build quality.

Just found out my brother has a pair of those - sounds better than my Turtle Beach z6a... :awe::thumbsup:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6011/pipeline-review-razer-tiamat-71

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-vengeance-2000-wireless-headset-review/

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-1500-dolby-7-1-usb-gaming-headset.html/

The razer tiamat 7.1 has mic issues but read more reviews on it and decide if its that important to you?

The razer tiamat is "TRUE" built in 7.1 as well.

The Corsair 1500 & 2000 are not True 7.1 using USB = not my cup of tea, the Corsair 1500 were on sale for $50 a week or two ago and I didn't even jump on it...

Razer Tiamat has been out of stock for awhile...

Last edited:

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Just found out my brother has a pair of those - sounds better than my Turtle Beach z6a... :awe::thumbsup:

The Corsair 1500 & 2000 are not True 7.1 using USB = not my cup of tea, the Corsair 1500 were on sale for $50 a week or two ago and I didn't even jump on it...

Razer Tiamat has been out of stock for awhile...

But, the Corsair 1500 has solid drivers!! It still gets the job done. For that price, its still a good deal I think. Bass is an issue but not a big concern. All reviews give it a solid rating.

Anyway, I think the Razer tiamat fits the bill. But Razer SERIOUSLY dropped the ball concerning its availability.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
"True" 5.1/7.1 is a gimmick, get a good pair of heapdhones (Sennheiser, AKG, Denon, Grado, etc.) and the Zalman clip on.

Although the PC360's will be the highest quality you'll find in the headset form factor.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
"True" 5.1/7.1 is a gimmick, get a good pair of heapdhones (Sennheiser, AKG, Denon, Grado, etc.) and the Zalman clip on.

Although the PC360's will be the highest quality you'll find in the headset form factor.

I dont think the Zalman mic is any good. Its a $10 mic, and you get what you pay for.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010

To be honest, I don't even use the mic on my headsets... so I'm fine with just headphones if they can provide better sound quality...:awe:

thelastjuju

Nov 6, 2011
I still can't believe they can get away with tricking people into thinking they are getting "surround sound" headphones.. although hey, even according to your sig, that's why places like this exist, to help weed out all the marketing gimmickry :D

If you really want to improve sound quality, step up from the dull and lifeless onboard sound and go with at least an entry level sound card.. a lot of people around here seem to be very happy with the improvements that the Asus Xonar DG can bring, for a mere $30

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I still can't believe they can get away with tricking people into thinking they are getting "surround sound" headphones.. although hey, even according to your sig, that's why places like this exist, to help weed out all the marketing gimmickry :D

If you really want to improve sound quality, step up from the dull and lifeless onboard sound and go with at least an entry level sound card.. a lot of people around here seem to be very happy with the improvements that the Asus Xonar DG can bring, for a mere $30

Agreed. The Asus Xonar DG is a solid sound card for the price and for users with headphones.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah... I got suckered for the Turtlebeach z6A due to a bad recommendation... one of my buddies works for a full service marketing firm that has Turtlebeach as a client... I'm just pissed off they break so easily...

The ASUS Xonar DG does sound tasty! Now my hunt for headphones continue...:awe:

Scoobyboo

Jul 19, 2012
I can suggest the Sennheiser HD 558.
It's the middle of the three versions, so it has a decent price but sounds absolutely great!
Even with just onboard AC'97 sound, it was a big difference with some other headphones I had before.

Although sound is different for everyone of course... maybe someone else will say this one is shit :p

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
Ive used Sennheiser HD 595 and listened to the Sennheiser HD 598. Both are good if you like the sound signature. I didnt. They lacked bass. It had no punch, no depth. So I went to my local Guitar Center and tried out some BeyerDynamics. I immediately fell in love with the DT 770 Pro 80. The sound is full of life, the exact thing the HD 595/598s lacked. And they're more comfortable to boot (the headband on the hd line hurt the top of my head after 30-50mins)

So yeah, BeyerDynamic is well worth looking into. And they're build like a tank. And if you want loads of info on headphones/headsets read this http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...dated-7-24-2012-m50s-edited-other-minor-edits

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I dont think the Zalman mic is any good. Its a $10 mic, and you get what you pay for.

Well, I use it everyday and the quality it just as good as any headset I've ever used, and I can use my HD598s. I'm happy. The mics on headsets can't cost more than $2 =/

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Well, I use it everyday and the quality it just as good as any headset I've ever used, and I can use my HD598s. I'm happy. The mics on headsets can't cost more than $2 =/

I think the difference is they are directional and noise canceling. The Zalman is always open, and it seems to pick my keystrokes better than my voice. When you boost the gain it sounds really bad. You then hear it picking up nothing, and its not only annoying for you, but also the people you are talking to. I dunno, I have been using it for 6 months and just bought a headset because I was tired of the Zalman. I may get the modmic when they are back in stock or the new version is out.

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
Childs, I love my modmic. Ive recorded my voice to test it and it sounds great (not my voice but the sound quality of the mic, lol). If you can wait for the new version with the mute feature that would be the way to go. That is the only thing I dont like about the modmic ver.1, it has no mute :(. But other than that, it is great

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Childs, I love my modmic. Ive recorded my voice to test it and it sounds great (not my voice but the sound quality of the mic, lol). If you can wait for the new version with the mute feature that would be the way to go. That is the only thing I dont like about the modmic ver.1, it has no mute :(. But other than that, it is great

Yeah, I'll wait for the new version. The AD700's I use are probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever had, I just need a decent mic to go with it. The headset I just bought is kinda uncomfortable, so a modmic on the AD700's would be perfect.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, I'll wait for the new version. The AD700's I use are probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever had, I just need a decent mic to go with it. The headset I just bought is kinda uncomfortable, so a modmic on the AD700's would be perfect.

I finally pulled the trigger and got the ATH-AD700 and it arrived today -

These CANS SOUND WAY BETTER THAN ANY 5.1 or 7.1 Gaming headsets I have tried this year = puts my Turtle Beach Z6A to shame and the AD700 was released 7 Years ago?! Fits my head better and is more comfortable...

Thanks ATOT!

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Congrats! Now you can play BF3 all day long. :biggrin:

The only thing I dont like about the AD700s is the color scheme, otherwise they are just about perfect. Combine it with a dolby headphone sound card and its just about as good as you can get. I alternate between the AD700s and JVC RX900s, which makes me think the A700s (closed version of the AD700) might be the sweet spot between comfort and sound. And they come in black. I dont know why the color bothers me so much, as no one sees me in them, but it does non the less! :biggrin:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Congrats! Now you can play BF3 all day long. :biggrin:

The only thing I dont like about the AD700s is the color scheme, otherwise they are just about perfect. Combine it with a dolby headphone sound card and its just about as good as you can get. I alternate between the AD700s and JVC RX900s, which makes me think the A700s (closed version of the AD700) might be the sweet spot between comfort and sound. And they come in black. I dont know why the color bothers me so much, as no one sees me in them, but it does non the less! :biggrin:

Just picked up the ASUS Xonar DG for $16 after rebate on Amazon! :D:thumbsup:

I'm on an Amazon shopping spree right now trying to get stuff before Sept 15th.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Just picked up the ASUS Xonar DG for $16 after rebate on Amazon! :D:thumbsup:

I'm on an Amazon shopping spree right now trying to get stuff before Sept 15th.

hmm...I didn't realize this was happening. I don't know what I need, but I definitely need something!