Need recommendation for camera bag and SDHC card for new Rebel XS

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Hi folks,

I decided to take the plunge and get an entry level DSLR, the Canon Rebel XS, to replace my aging A40 (see previous thread). Now I need a camera bag and memory card to go with it.

Any recommendations for a bag? I just have the camera body and the kit lens (EF-S 18-55 IS) for now. I want to get comfortable with the camera for a bit before I explore other lenses. Many of the DSLR bags seem way bigger than what I need.

For memory cards, is a Class 6 SDHC the way to go? This Transcend 8 GB card seems like a good deal.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I like my lowepro slingshot 100 bag I use for my 50D. Plenty of room for extra lenses when you get to that point, but not really really big.

I am sure that transcend card will work well. I tend to stick with sandisk stuff myself, but class 6 or better is what you will want.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Camera bags are largely dependent on your usage and plans. I have several. My DSLR and lenses will not fit in one bag. I therefore choose the bag based on what I need to carry, and where I am going. An overseas air journey dictates one thing, and a local shoot quite another. Things I always carry are spare batteries, memory card, filters, and other minor accessories. You can go from sling bags to back packs and everything in between.

My advice is to go to a local camera shop and toujch and feel every possible case. Take notes, and then when you find what suits you best, order it on line.

As for memory cards, I am on my 5th DSLR and several P&S cameras. I never use more than 2GB SD or CF cards. Reason? I never shoot more than 1 day's worth of pictures (abnout 100 shots) before off loading to my PC or laptop (when travelling.) I have never filled a memory card at 2GB. And, I always carry 2 or 3 of them just in case.

I stick to Lexar or SanDisk cards at the top end. Speed and reliability count more with me than size.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Good to know. It looks like Sandisk Extreme III is their Class 6 line. 4 GB cards seem reasonably priced; I'll check them out.

Thanks for the thoughts on the bags, corkyg.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i have a domke f-3x bag. its the best one i've found after buying and using the lowepro flipside 200 and 300, crumpler 6 and 7 million dollar homes. it might be a little big with your current equipment but it'll leave you plenty of room to grow and expand.