Need quick cooking advice, of sorts

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ok, long story short, my mom was cooking something in the microwave and she had to leave quick. So there's now a casserole dish of some sort of potato casserole type stuff in it; it's not a single serving; this is a "pot" of the stuff. So question is, what do I do with it in the meantime? It was partially cooked, and she won't be back for at least an hour. What is the best option for it at this point?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Is it a precooked store bought item? If so, finish cooking it, then reheat it later

If it was just being reheated, but not frozen, then as posted above, just cover it and let it be.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Nope, not prebought. Completely homemade. It was being cooked for the first time.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Hmmmm call mom. Seriously, food doesnt usually take to partial cooking, then cooling and then being cooked again. That said, you can sometimes get away with it, but I dunno. Not much help I know, but if you arent used to cooking, its hard to advise by computer.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Can't call her. She had to go pick up my sister at school then take her to the doctor. My sister's been getting sick quite a bit lately, and she's got an earache now; the school nurse had just called home, so that's why my mom had to leave.
When I came out, the microwave was paused, so my mom had stopped it before leaving, but I don't know when.
Shall I just assume that she stopped it knowing she wouldn't be back for a while and let it be?

Pundit

Feb 28, 2002

<< My sister's been getting sick quite a bit lately, and she's got an earache now; >>

What is wrong with her? Is she going to be ok?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
When in doubt, do nothing. Best let mom handle it. If it can be resurrected fine, otherwise PIZZA!!!

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ok, I'll leave it there then till she gets back.

Yeah, my sister should be fine. They were having a play at school, and quite a few members of the cast were getting sick, probably in part from sleep deprivation. They were having practices every day for over a week until 10pm at night; the play's been performed now so the practices are over. It just seems to be a moderate cold.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I would cook it until it was finished and transfer it to the stove top, add a little water, and keep it warm using low/very low heat.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Well yeah that would be best, however, I have NO idea how to cook much of anything, plus I don't know what exactly this stuff even is.
My idea of "cooking" is Ramen noodles, or heating up something out of the fridge. I'm not a cook.;)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cover or wrap it, and put it in the fridge. That should prevent any spoilage for awhile (A few hours or overnight). When you want to finish heating it, start with a minute or two on a medium setting to get it back up to cooking temp, then continue cooking it until done. DO NOT let the dish stand at room temperature, covered or not. That can allow bacterial growth to begin.

Doing this is a "Kentucky windage" kind of thing. You have to check it along the way, because you have already interrupted whatever the original cycle was going to be. The worst that can happen is that the dish will not come out right, but you already have the conditions for that happening.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ok,`all's well now. She got home, and just heated it up again. It was just potatoes in clam chowder, and it seems to be ok. Glad it wasn't anything complicated. Thanks for the suggestions, all.:)