Need paddle-card for PCI-E slot

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I moved my 5850 to a BioStar mobo that requires a paddle-card in the second PCI-E slot to force the first slot to have x16 bandwidth. I have the original mobo package and its contents, but no paddle-card. Which is weird because this is the first GPU I've installed on the board.

I haven't had to use a paddle-card since my FX-60 days.

Questions:
1) can I use any PCI-E paddle-card regardless of mobo brand?
2) if so, does anyone have a spare I can buy?

My production is down about 16 seconds per MilkyWay WU right now, compared to when it was in my ASRock mobo (where my 7950 is happily crunching away).

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I have an Asus vga switch card that I got with their M4A89GTD pro motherboard.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3394

Your welcome to have it. That motherboard died on me. It might be risky popping it into a biostar MB though since there are fairly complicated channels/connections ?? on the card.

Is there really a significant difference between x8 and x16 in the DC or gaming world?

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
I have an Asus vga switch card that I got with their M4A89GTD pro motherboard.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3394

Your welcome to have it. That motherboard died on me. It might be risky popping it into a biostar MB though since there are fairly complicated channels/connections ?? on the card.

Is there really a significant difference between x8 and x16 in the DC or gaming world?

My need is for PCI-E. Vga won't fit. Thanks for the offer. I may have to go to Biostar to get one. There is a used PC center near me that also might have it. I won't be able to check that out for a few weeks. My estimated production in MilkyWay is 12,000,000 credits per 30-days, so maybe I'm being too picky.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pretty sure that is the same thing :) It says VGA Switch but it's for PCI-e. These were simply most often used for graphics card setups (which you happen to be using it for as well).

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
Fred, thecoolnessrune is correct - the VGA switch card that biodoc has is the same thing...look more closely at it - it fits a PCIe slot. i have a variation of the mobo that died on biodoc (mine is a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3), and it also came with that switch card. when a single GPU is installed without the switch card in the other PCIe slot, the GPU only operates at PCIe 2.0 x8 speeds. whether the ASUS switch cars is identical to the BioStar one, i have no idea...i'd give you mine as well if i weren't still using it and the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, but it looks like biodoc has you covered if you're brave enough to try it in your BioStar mobo lol...