Question need opinions on my future build.

lilred808

Sep 13, 2020
hey. I'm new to this. I have not nor know how to build a computer. lol but Im was going to buy a pre built comp.but a friend told me I should buy the components and put it together. so thats why I'm here. the computer is for my boy(9)he loves fortnite and he does good in school. and I want him to know how to use and know the functions of a computer. not like someone(me)lol. but anyways. this is what I was thinking.

amd ryzen 5 3600xt(chip)
gigabyte x570 aorus master(motherboard)
corsair vengeance rbg pro(2x8gb)ram
evga geforce rtx2060 ko(graphics card)
seasonic focus px750 (power supply)
cooler master haf xb evo (case)
msi optix g24c (monitor)
razor blackwidow ultimate sport gaming keyboard.
razor naga trinity wired mouse

I was told that components last 3-5 years before u have to upgrade. so my question is would this be a good setup for the next 4 yrs. and I was going to order everything from newegg. in November for he's Christmas present. so I'm not in a rush to buy anything. just got to do my homework on this. thanks for reading.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I like the build but that motherboard is completely overkill. You don't need a $329 motherboard for that.

Go with a good B550 or cheaper X570 motherboard instead. Also you might want to get the Nvidia RTX 3060 that should be out before the end of the year.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Definitely get a placeholder GPU. For reference, the new RTX 3070 is hitting the streets this month and 2080ti (of which it's supposed to be neck and neck depending on title and settings) is already down to ~$500ish used.

If we extrapolate that to push the other GPUs down to a value tier that makes sense, we end up with this :

RTX 2080ti / 3070 $500
RTX 2080 Super $425
RTX 2080 $380
GTX 1080ti $350
RTX 2070 Super $340
Radeon 5700XT $330
RTX 2070 $325
Radeon 5700 $310
RTX 2060 Super $300
GTX 1080 $280
Radeon 5600XT $275
RTX 2060 $250
Radeon 5600 $225
GTX 1070ti $210
GTX 1660 Super/Ti $200
GTX 1070 $180
GTX 1660 $175
GTX 1650 Super $140
Radeon 580 8GB $120
GTX 1060 6GB $115
GTX 1650 $100
Radeon 570/480 8GB $80
Radeon 560/470 4GB $75
GTX 1060 3GB $70
GTX 1050ti $60

Note : used prices can be wacky, but given 2080ti selling for $500, and the product stack that exists underneath it I absolutely wouldn't pay a dime more than what I estimate above, and you may even see better deals than that if Navi2 is aggressive pricing wise. The expected RTX 3060 should be RTX 2080 levels of performance for $350-$380, which would push the prices above down even further, as it would make zero sense for a used 2080 to sell for an identical price to a brand new superior 3060 (same or better performance but new, warranty, quieter/more power efficient etc).

Agree also that especially with regards to Zen up to 8C/16T on 7nm, you REALLY don't have to go ham with fancy Mobo. They're so efficient power wise that your entry level X570 board will offer identical performance to a $500 model. It's just features, and you can always add current WiFi/10Gbe/BT/etc via PCIe cards, which I find preferable to onboard stuff that may get quickly outdated anyway. Where expensive mobos come in handy are with overclocking hungry CPUs like Coffee Lake+ 8-10th gen 6-10 Core stuff to 5+GHz. The expensive solid state caps, elaborate power stage designs, trick VRM cooling etc are actually useful there, while your Zen 3100-3800XT see perfect performance even on the most basic possible Mobo.

Reactions: lilred808

lilred808

Sep 13, 2020
😳. But Thanks arkaign. For being real in-depth. This would take me a while to comprehend of what u said. Lol. But yeah keep um coming. I’m pretty sure that other beginners would like to hear what advance guys know. I’m learning more about computers everyday. Thanks too people like u. 🙏🤙

Feb 4, 2009
The actual process of putting together a PC is pretty easy. Just read the motherboard and case manual carefully.
In the past installing windows and drivers was the hardest part but that has been alleviated with newer versions of windows and the pre-installed generic drivers.
Back to your build, I agree the motherboard is way over kill. A B550 or more moderately price X570 board is probably a better choice.
The X570 boards do have a fan, the fan noise is minimal but it does add complexity like how long will the fan last or as in my build the fan is ridiculously close to video card which *may* impact my future video card choices due to spacing, however my case does support horizontal mount video cards.
Stuff like above is impossible to plan unless you draw a diagram with proper measurements for everything and how it all fits together which only the most Uber builders will do.
However if you generally buy mid range and beyond you will have more options or work arounds as in my case supporting vertical video cards this feature was just an added bonus I figured I’d never use.

Back to your build, if it were me I would go lower cost on the board and higher cost on the CPU like a 3700x or a 3800x if the cost is similar.
Personally I think 32GB is a more future oriented idea for a new build. I typically prefer more memory than less even if that means worse timings or slightly slower memory. Test after test more memory wins over faster memory.
Regarding the video card I would wait to see what happens. Video card pricing is so hard to predict I don’t want to guess if it will be higher or lower. Just seems we are between generations with AMD & nVidia and that is always a difficult time to buy. If you have a video card that works I’d stick with that one for a few months and see what happens.
Final note, assuming this build isn’t urgent waiting until Black Friday may be a good idea but don’t put it off too long. Really easy to delay and delay and delay for the next sale or product release. Best advice I’ve heard is the right time to build is when it is needed.

Reactions: lilred808
Feb 4, 2009
Regarding the razor keyboard and mouse look at this thread.

I’m pretty forgiving of DRM (Digital Rights Management) I feel companies and producers have a right to be compensated. We shouldn’t be Pirating Turds as consumers.
I fail to see why hardware like a mouse & keyboard need an always on internet connection linked to a user. Particularly when that app or account can be hacked and expose some of your data.
Complicated subject I don’t want to get into here, just read the other posters link and decide if you are okay with it or if you want to use a local “guest” account or just find a different solution.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
hey. I'm new to this. I have not nor know how to build a computer. lol but Im was going to buy a pre built comp.but a friend told me I should buy the components and put it together. so thats why I'm here. the computer is for my boy(9)he loves fortnite and he does good in school. and I want him to know how to use and know the functions of a computer. not like someone(me)lol. but anyways. this is what I was thinking.

amd ryzen 5 3600xt(chip)
gigabyte x570 aorus master(motherboard)
corsair vengeance rbg pro(2x8gb)ram
evga geforce rtx2060 ko(graphics card)
seasonic focus px750 (power supply)
cooler master haf xb evo (case)
msi optix g24c (monitor)
razor blackwidow ultimate sport gaming keyboard.
razor naga trinity wired mouse

I was told that components last 3-5 years before u have to upgrade. so my question is would this be a good setup for the next 4 yrs. and I was going to order everything from newegg. in November for he's Christmas present. so I'm not in a rush to buy anything. just got to do my homework on this. thanks for reading.

As others mentioned, this is mostly overkill for something like Fortnite. And I would not bank on spending extra for the concept of future proofing or upgrading in just 3~4 years unless you are an enthusiast and you're ok with throwing hundreds at the project often. And that's ok. But just trying to keep perspective. Your 9 year old will outgrow a game before this PC will not be able to handle games.

Anyhow, a GTX 1050Ti class GPU will replace a current console's graphics capabilities, so a build with even a lower end Ryzen 3000 series CPU with a 1050Ti will be like having a solid console experience. Any generation GPU newer than that will simply give tons of headroom. Depends if the goal is 1080p or 4k for resolution and what FPS is the minimum that will be tolerated.

So the system you've got there is beyond overkill for Fortnite.

Instead, I would suggest:

Asus TUF x570 motherboard

Ryzen 9 3900X CPU

Samsung 970 1TB SSD (NVMe)

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM (32Gb, get 4 sticks):

GTX 1660 Super GPU:

Keep your other components. The idea is to go a little lower on GPU for now (I know that sounds backwards on a gaming machine, but if you want to have room in the future don't over-spend on a GPU for something like Fortnite, which is easy to run, it's not an intensive to run game, on purpose, to make it fluid for online gaming). The 1660 Super will run Fortnite maxed out no problem. Instead, build a better core system with a better CPU and more memory and have it running off a fast internal SSD. Then every 2~3 years or so, you can buy the next tier or two up GPU as your child grows up and gets new games. Having a system that can simply stay the same for a good 6 years or so, and simply upgrade GPU as needed is a better gaming pathway for building a PC yourself. So build a good core up front, then GPU creep as needed as the releases come out. I would never go for the latest GPU releases unless you're a total enthusiast for 4k or more and all the bells and whistles. That's usually not what a competitive online gaming machine is focused on. Heck, most competitive gamers turn down graphics values to ensure maximum performance and response where milliseconds matter. Granted this is not necessary at all for a game like Fortnite. You can play it maxed out and have great performance, 140FPS+ on a 1660 Super GPU at High Settings.

That said, if you feel you want to go farther down that rabbit hole, target the RTX 2060 Super for $150~200 more. But again, overkill for Fortnite.

Very best,

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I’m pretty forgiving of DRM (Digital Rights Management) I feel companies and producers have a right to be compensated. We shouldn’t be Pirating Turds as consumers.
I fail to see why hardware like a mouse & keyboard need an always on internet connection linked to a user. Particularly when that app or account can be hacked and expose some of your data.
Complicated subject I don’t want to get into here, just read the other posters link and decide if you are okay with it or if you want to use a local “guest” account or just find a different solution.
WTF? Razor mice/keyboards have always-on internet-connected DRM? You've got to be kidding me! That's crazy. I'll never buy a Razor gaming peripheral, that's for certain.

Feb 4, 2009
WTF? Razor mice/keyboards have always-on internet-connected DRM? You've got to be kidding me! That's crazy. I'll never buy a Razor gaming peripheral, that's for certain.

Yeah, I’ve had bad luck with mice lately. I was thinking of getting a razor mouse amazon keeps spamming me about.
The always on internet connection turned me off.
Admittedly you can use an offline guest mode but it is really weird that a mouse or keyboard need an always on internet connection. What is the purpose, do they update the drivers that often and do those updates effect performance of a mouse that much or is it collecting data or is it spamming you or is it some odd decision an executive made?