Need opinions - Licensing of pets because 9,000 animals had to be killed

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Our County is instituting a Fee for owning Pets. $50 per animal per year with the possibility of a lower Fee ($10) if the animal has been spayed or neutered.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I heard at a County meeting on this that Kings County, Washington has done this already.
Anyone on here from that area? If so has it helped the animal overpopulation problem?

Here is an article from last nights meeting.
Pet owners speak out on proposed fees

I understand the Fee is proposed just like you must get a Driver's License as it is a priviledge to own and drive a car so they are now extending that same principal to owning a pet. I am not 100% against this principle or idea or even the Fees, just want to see the perpetrators of the real problem, irresponsible Pet Owners nailed to wall. No one should own a dog unless their yard is fenced, period.
Can't help but feel being punished for being a responsible Pet Owner, our dog has zero affect on our neighbors or the County, we fenced our yard as soon as we moved in and Pepper has never been on the street except for when we walked him for a News video.

As Pet owners we will now have to pay double, all County Tax payers are already paying for Animal Control Officers and staff (Enforcement side) as well as the Animal Facilities where the stray animals are brought to by Animal Control (should really be called People Control, it is not the Animals fault they are in the situation they are) where they are housed and fed for 72 hours before being killed by lethal injection. Very very few of the 11,000 animals brought in every year are adopted, over 6,000 were killed and thrown in plastic garbage bags and dumped in the County landfill.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Our County is instituting a Fee for owning Pets. $50 per animal per year with the possibility of a lower Fee ($10) if the animal has been spayed or neutered.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I heard at a County meeting on this that Kings County, Washington has done this already.
Anyone on here from that area? If so has it helped the animal overpopulation problem?

I haven't heard of a national pet fee. Licensing fees have always been left to local government and I think it should stay that way. What possible benefit can we have from a national licensing program?

There are millions of strays already. Millions of pets in pounds across the country. And people aren't rushing in to rescue them. Why put one more roadblock in the way?

We have three pets. Two dogs and a cat. I'm not paying $150 to license them unless the money is used DIRECTLY to help find homes for the strays and pound animals and to help pay for the cost of spay/neuter programs.

IMO the government should allow a small (notice I said small) tax deduction for pets. It might help get more people to adopt a pet. Homeless and stray animals are a HUGE problem across the country. Local volunteer groups are doing all they can in our area and across the country. The federal government instituting licensing fees will only exacerbate the problem. Unless the fees are used to help find homes for and spay/neuter them.

But I don't trust government to collect and disperse the funds. Next thing you know they'll use the money to fill the ever growing budget deficit instead of what it's earmarked for.

Just like they're doing with the money collected for Social Security.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Don't register anything. BS tax that all it is. Usually, depending on local, it's a fix it ticket anyway.

Have many animals (too damn many) and never had a problem... And If I do it's not mine.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BOBDN

I haven't heard of a national pet fee. Licensing fees have always been left to local government and I think it should stay that way. What possible benefit can we have from a national licensing program?

There are millions of strays already. Millions of pets in pounds across the country. And people aren't rushing in to rescue them. Why put one more roadblock in the way?

We have three pets. Two dogs and a cat. I'm not paying $150 to license them unless the money is used DIRECTLY to help find homes for the strays and pound animals and to help pay for the cost of spay/neuter programs.

IMO the government should allow a small (notice I said small) tax deduction for pets. It might help get more people to adopt a pet. Homeless and stray animals are a HUGE problem across the country. Local volunteer groups are doing all they can in our area and across the country. The federal government instituting licensing fees will only exacerbate the problem. Unless the fees are used to help find homes for and spay/neuter them.

But I don't trust government to collect and disperse the funds. Next thing you know they'll use the money to fill the ever growing budget deficit instead of what it's earmarked for.

Just like they're doing with the money collected for Social Security.

Thanks for your feedback already. I'll post a link to my local website, also local Talk Show Host Martha Zoller has had many discussions on this as well. Here is a link to Kings County, Washington that they are supposed to Modeling the Licensing after:
Kings County, Washington Pet Licensing Web Page

"Unless the fees are used to help find homes for and spay/neuter them."

Yes, this fee is supposed to go into it's own pooled account of money to pay for the Spay/Neutering as well as the "Pet Police force", the Canvassers as they are called and there job is to go to every door in the County in search of everyone's animals and ensure that everyone is in compliance and pays the Fees.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo
Don't register anything. BS tax that all it is. Usually, depending on local, it's a fix it ticket anyway.

Have many animals (too damn many) and never had a problem... And If I do it's not mine.

If you do not register you are breaking the Law. They will find your pets through Vet records as well as they will be going door to door enforcing the Law and collecting the fees.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

If you do not register you are breaking the Law. They will find your pets through Vet records as well as they will be going door to door enforcing the Law and collecting the fees.

I did not know you moved to Iran

I say fvck that sh!t. I'd be organizing a letter writing campaign to my city councilman and local congressmen.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Nitemare

I say fvck that sh!t. I'd be organizing a letter writing campaign to my city councilman and local congressmen.

Look at my link above, they already do it Kings County Washington.

I don't blame the County for being creative in coming up with Fees like this. The alternative is more Tax on the general population in the county. This way it is technically a User Fee on responsible animal owners to pay for the freeloading irresponsible pet owners.

Please, if you can come up with a better idea please post it here, with talks in discussion right now here maybe better alternatives can be found before this is instituted throughout the entire U.S. or is this the right way to go???

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

I don't blame the County for being creative in coming up with Fees like this. The alternative is more Tax on the general population in the county. This way it is technically a User Fee on responsible animal owners to pay for the freeloading irresponsible pet owners.

Please, if you can come up with a better idea please post it here, with talks in discussion right now here maybe better alternatives can be found before this is instituted throughout the entire U.S. or is this the right way to go???

Part of me is thinking now that the 9000 pets destroyed is on the high side. How about branding pets, nothing big mind you, and each time the pound picks up that pet return it and fine the owner a 100 bucks. Probably won't take too many times of letting Lassie run free for this

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Part of me is thinking now that the 9000 pets destroyed is on the high side. How about branding pets, nothing big mind you, and each time the pound picks up that pet return it and fine the owner a 100 bucks. Probably won't take too many times of letting Lassie run free for this

They tried Tattooing and Chipping the animals, expensive and didn't work because the FreeLoading Lowlife's that cause the problem of the loose animals when they do get caught say" No, that's not my animal, never saw it before".

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

They tried Tattooing and Chipping the animals, expensive and didn't work because the FreeLoading Lowlife's that cause the problem of the loose animals when they do get caught say" No, that's not my animal, never saw it before".

That will be impossible if they are numbered and their owner's information is on file. That would be the equivalent of telling the IRS that you don't owe any taxes. Be really anal about it and have an auction and sell off their prpoperty to pay the fine, give them jail time if they resist.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
It comes down to an issue of personal responsibility of the pet owner.
This is the same mentality that trashies have for their kids that they abuse and neglect.
Local Polititians are quick to slap a 'Fee' - it's a tax, to fix anything because they want quick money.
Education would go a long way toward resolving these issues, but most refuse to be educated.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
My dogs have a license to chew the extremities off any government official of my choosing who shows up at the farm to extort any more funds from me.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Just make it a felony to have pets and be done with it.

Well it is a Misdemeanor even for repeat Offenders so one of the suggestions brought up in the meeting is stiffer penalties.

This year the State of Georgia just made it a Felony for Animal abuse cases. We've had some really bad ones in the last couple of years like using dogs for target practice with a bow and arrow, snouts wired shut with barbed wire etc.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Just make it a felony to have pets and be done with it.

Well it is a Misdemeanor even for repeat Offenders so one of the suggestions brought up in the meeting is stiffer penalties.

This year the State of Georgia just made it a Felony for Animal abuse cases. We've had some really bad ones in the last couple of years like using dogs for target practice with a bow and arrow, snouts wired shut with barbed wire etc.

Welcome to police state of americas, leave you wallet at the door. I really can't believe this is happening in a place like GA..The rebel state and all. Sounds like you need to move out west....

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
It comes down to an issue of personal responsibility of the pet owner.
This is the same mentality that trashies have for their kids that they abuse and neglect.
Local Polititians are quick to slap a 'Fee' - it's a tax, to fix anything because they want quick money.
Education would go a long way toward resolving these issues, but most refuse to be educated.

Education did come up as a big topic item. They said although the benefits will not be apparent for 15 years until the children grow up and start having kids of their own. No one had ideas for the current generation of parents that need to be "Educated".

One thing I brought up was how the problem is going to many times worse as the Builders are putting up homes at a dizzying pace, in one Subdivision that will have 3,000 homes only a few feet apart from each other and not a tree in sight for 6 miles in all directions (They use the clear cutting method for all building here now). Many of these new very tight quartered subdivsions do not allow people to put up a fence so when they get dogs will certainly exaberate the problem.

With close to 50 subdivsions being built with 20,000 homes that the Pet overpopulation problem will skyrocket. They disputed me (The County people) they said that the rise in population will not mean a rise in the pet population. We have problems right here in our little 88 home subdivsion with people that went and got dogs and did not fence in their yards. Just last week a guy brought a bag of dog sh1T over to his neighbor across the street and dumped it in his driveway and said "Here is your dog's poop back.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
<<Just last week a guy brought a bag of dog sh1T over to his neighbor across the street and dumped it in his driveway and said "Here is your dog's poop back.">>

That's actually a pretty civil way of doing it. You must live in a pretty decent neighborhood. ;)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Thanks for feedback everyone. There is another meeting this Thursday.

Attention Atlantans, those that live in Fulton County. The news also showed today that the Animal shelter there that was built in 1978 is 4 times over capacity, they are having to KILL 12 animals an hour there till they get the amount in there down 3 times what is in there now. Anyone that lives down that way that was considering adopting a pet, this is the time and save a life.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000

It seems that this fine will cost more to enforce than the fine itself. It sounds like they're levying this fine...so they can pay for the labor to enforce the fine...

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

I'm not sure that chipping is that expensive. They do it a lot here in the UK now and it's real cheap (like a pound or two I believe).

Cheers,

Andy

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
The fee should be waived if the animal is fixed. It is a good idea, it is aweful that these animals have to die just because they had irresponsible owners.

/edit also those who already own their pets should be grandfathered in, this should only apply on new pets

/edit 2 This article doesn't say which animals you are taxed on... there is a big difference between a dog and a hamster/goldfish...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DaiShan
The fee should be waived if the animal is fixed. It is a good idea, it is aweful that these animals have to die just because they had irresponsible owners.

/edit also those who already own their pets should be grandfathered in, this should only apply on new pets

/edit 2 This article doesn't say which animals you are taxed on... there is a big difference between a dog and a hamster/goldfish...

I believe they are targeting Dogs and Cats only. Good question, I will ask if it applies to any other animals tomorrow, Thank You.