Need moar threads (workstation that can game)

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Salutations and many blessings on all your houses.

So I'm currently running a 3570K and have been pleased with it for years. Times and needs change. I would really like to up my available threads to deal with the large in memory data processing I do every day. I'm thinking even 12 threads is 3x what I have and could chop in half (or more) the time I wait for my threaded workloads to complete.

I briefly considered something crazy like this but I don't want to f*$k with the headaches of engineering samples and also still want some top end clock speed for single threaded-ness.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Intense in memory processing of large datasets (many gigs). Gaming but this is a work computer 1st. Office apps, surfing, streaming, etc.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$500 - $1500

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Land of the free

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

Complete opposite of fanboy

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

All I need is CPU+HSF, MOBO, RAM. I got the rest covered.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No overclocking whatsoever. Completely stock.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

My main is a 2560x1440

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?

I could wait for Kaby Lake (not here yet is it?) but don't want to wait for Skylake-X. Could wait for Zen if it's worth it but I need specs now to plan my purchase.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

Negative

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Depending on how easily your work devours cores and memory, it sounds like a move to X99 is probably in order. I'll let others give you more details since I really haven't kept up with hardware.

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Is the task you do hungry for more threads only or does it also eat up more RAM as well?

Torn Mind

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2012
Okay, in the LGA 2011-3 platform, server motherboards with the C612 chipset can have two sockets.
As far as I know, you can get 10 cores/20 threads at 2.2 GHz base clock, 3.1 GHz Turbo with the E5-2630 V4.

This is a sort of prototype I spec'd on pcpartpicker. It is a little over your budget. With the E5-2620 V4, you will lose two cores, but be able to get close to the upper end of your budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6t3xZL

For the coolers, I would suggest sticking to around 20-30 dollars unless you are a quiet freak. For two sockets, you'll need two of them.

You would want to check out Newegg more deeply for the other boards, or whether you really want to run registered and ECC RAM, etc.

NAC

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2000
I got two e5-2670 off ebay, 64 gigs of used ecc server memory and a new ASROCK MB from Newegg for about $550. I don't think you can beat it for the price for multi-threaded work. However, make sure your software really can use a lot of threads and two CPUs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY